Amitriptyline, what's your experience with this drug?

Agape
Agape Member Posts: 76
edited 8. Jul 2017, 05:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I just wanted to ask those of you who take Amitriptyline how you get on with it. I take Lyrica and co-codamol for pain but find that Lyrica gives me an appetite and have heard that Amitriptyline has the same kind of effects. I have been prescribed this as I find it very hard to get off to sleep at night and they say it will help me sleep. Any experiences / advice will be very much appreciated. Thx

Comments

• Wobbly
    Wobbly Member Posts: 58
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi I was taking amyltryptaline until abt 4 mths ago. Its great for getting u off to sleep and keeping u asleep in my experience.
    I was changed to gabapentin as i have some nerve trapment and gabapentin was supposed to deal with nerve pain better - not convinced ant that last statement.
    But loved the amitriptyline for sleep also felt it kinda kept my mood quite leveled out am a bit up n down now not on it any more. I wasn't on a massive dose 30 - 40mg a night but give it a try n c how it goes. Hope it gives u lots of lovely sleep xx
  • stremlett
    stremlett Member Posts: 37
    I have been taking amitriptyline for about three months. I am awake five or six times each night because of carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands (as part of a rich tapestry of rheumie troubles. It helps me to sleep and although I still awaken frequently I get straight back off again. The only side effect for me is a rather dry mouth all the time. The doc said it would change my perception of pain but I'm not finding that. Since becoming ill seven months ago I have lost six pounds. I think it is worth giving it a go.
  • Agape
    Agape Member Posts: 76
    Thx everyone, from yr replies I think I will give Amitriptyline a try. This decision has been going around in my head as Lyrica has given me an increased appetite and as mentioned previously I have been concerned that I will put on even more weight which in turn affects my arthritis pain (carrying more lbs) :| but I do suffer from the lack of sleep and so I feel that I must at least give it a go. Wud u know if it's hard to come off once on it. I am starting off on a low dose of 10mg.

Many thanks
  • stremlett
    stremlett Member Posts: 37
    I understand that you are worried about getting addicted or dependent on it. I was similarly worried about 30/500 cocodamol as I got into a bit of trouble with alcohol decades ago. I took the coco for three months but then stopped to see if there were any problems. There were none and I continue to have the odd coco-free days in the hope that if a problem develops I'll know early enough to confront it :-) I hope Ami works for you. Sue T
  • Rach101
    Rach101 Member Posts: 165
    I took amitriptyline about ten years ago to help me sleep. I think I only had 10mg but it really helped me and I had no side effects. I took it for about a year and slept well.
  • JenniferB27
    JenniferB27 Member Posts: 74
    Hi there I have been prescribed this drug too to help me sleep. I can only take 10mg as any more and I feel spaced out the following morning and find it hard to function. It does help me drop off to sleep and although I am still.awarw of the pain it doesn't seem to bother me as much x good luck
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Other forum members have found that to avoid the muzzy morning-after feeling it's best to take the amytryp at least two hours before bedtime. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hi, I've been on different doses of Amitriptyline for some time now and it has helped me drop off to sleep, depending on dose you may wake up with a hangover feeling to start but I found it passed after your body is used to it. I believe it's a great medication to help you get off to sleep if your having problems getting off to sleep due to pain. More affective than counting sheep!! LOL :D