I'm going to Latitude.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 25. Jul 2017, 05:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
No, it's not a conference for geographers :wink: it's a music festival. It's held on the Henham Estate near Southwold and we last went five years ago. We are hoping to repeat the great experiences of then (minus twice getting the motorhome stuck in very boggy ground) and we are able to do the whole thing and a ew days after as he is no longer constrained by work demands. For me, however, it's suddenly become rather bittersweet.

Five years ago I wore my walking boots and got around with two walking poles. talk about the good old days! :lol: Now I'm taking my rollator - Hermione has been suggested but wheeling a big ol' gal like me across bumpy lumpy fields is asking a little too much of The Spouse (plus him having a coronary is not a good idea simply because I don't fancy driving the bus back :wink: ). The walking boots are consigned to the dustbin of high heels and mules, but festival wellies are more than feasible.

Of course there will be payback but I'm ready for it. I'm pretty careful the rest of the year but now I'm thinking 'To h*ll with it!' Life is for living, it's going to be great, I've timed the meds beautifully so there's no need to take a sharps etc. I shall rock around on me rolly to Fat Boy Slim, swoon at the dulcet tones of Reginald D Hunter (he could read the phone book, I'd be a happy girl), drink beer (it would be rude not to), spray me and our friends regularly with anti-bac stuff, laugh, cry, have some quiet times (the woodland at night is magical), watch some dance, hear some poetry and other readings, shop ( :D ) and just generally enjoy life.

Look after yourselves, I'll see you soon. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Bravo DD, life is to be lived, adjustments made where necessary but definitely lived not just existed. Have a truly wonderful time-your post put me in mind of the poem "When I Am Old" by Jenny Joseph......maybe we could rewrite it along the lines of "When I am arthritic I shall.........".

Take reasonable care of yourself, the odd beer and boogie not withstanding! :wink:

Deb x
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Hope you have a fabulous time.
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you for your replies, I promise to do my best to have fun! We have friends joining us at various points throughout the weekend plus two staying with us for three nights so my going to bed early might be challenging as the table will be transformed into my bed! DD
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Yes it is bittersweet, but you've still got the bits that matter - eyes to see, ears to hear, and the brain cells to enjoy. The presence of a support worker(!) will help to offset the rest, even if at times more as a distraction through irritation?
    my going to bed early might be challenging as the table will be transformed into my bed!
    Leave it permanently set up as a bed - day or otherwise - and eat alfresco? Perhaps with added insurance of awning/gazebo. Crumbs and spillages taken care of by Mother Nature....
  • TrishaW
    TrishaW Member Posts: 109
    Have a fabulous time and fill your soul with music, laughter and good times xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    Daffy, you are absolutely correct; I think that sometimes I am too focused on what I cannot do rather than concentrating on what I can so yours is a timely reminder. Mr DD has packed the car with some room to spare so I can take my extra pillow! :D

Thank you, TrishaW, it's all looking rather promising including the weather - hurrah! We are entitled to a pitch in the disabled section and I have remembered to include all the required paperwork which I shall keep on me at all times for security.

Laughter and memories here I come. DD

PS I have switched off the wifi on my phone and feel liberated! :lol:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Just enjoy it.

That's an order :wink:

((( )))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Mental picture of DD stretched out on table surrounded by dishes. :shock:
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    mig wrote:
    Mental picture of DD stretched out on table surrounded by dishes. :shock:
    Oh mig, DD as plat du jour! I look forward to her reactions when she gets back.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    You go girl! Life is for living and sometimes even though we know we shouldn't we do anyway and although physically we might suffer afterwards it's worth it for the boost to our emotional well being. My Mother always said the two saddest words in the English language are "if only".

By the way I hope the "dishes" you are surrounded by are of the male variety!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    I'm back and it was a blast. I did things I thought were beyond my capabilities and learned they were not; much food for thought.

I'm cheffing and tired, I will try to catch up as best I can tomorrow.
    DD
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Amazing. You're one amazing woman, DD. :wink: Would love to hear how you got on. I am tentatively considering Glastonbury next year as they have specific disabled facilities and I'm turning 30, having never been to a festival!
  • dreamdaisy
    Apologies for the delay in replying, Starburst, but life is very different here in the DD household as The Spouse has stopped work for the time being so I am no longer home alone.

I have only experienced Latitude which, in comparison to Glastonbury, is a much smaller venue. It has disabled facilities including wheelchair charging points (free to use), larger showers (big enough for chairs and a carer or two) and the toilets were emptied at least three times per day (unlike others). Stewards were on duty 24/7 and would also patrol overnight to keep an eye on everyone. They also provide a taxi service to the main arena (a golf-cart type vehicle pulling another) but I was able to walk there quite easily as we are allocated the closest site to the main arena (sadly it wasn't that surprising to witness how many able-bodied tried to get in too). One can apply for residency on this site from March onwards (although tickets an be bought earlier) they require proof of disability via letters of entitlement to DLA, PIP etc.

I was very fortunate in that Mr DD bought me a new rollator, one much better suited to the terrain and that made a huge difference to my abilities. It is set in fields so the surface is very uneven and quite hilly in places. Around 40,000 attended this year (a large increase on five years ago) but I felt very safe; it is a family-friendly festival so there is very little aggression. Personally I wouldn't be able to cope with the size of Glasto.

Fat Boy Slim on the Sunday evening was fantastic - he showed the weedy Fleet Foxes a thing or two about how to entertain a crowd! DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I missed this, could have come with you :lol: ..like you say to hell with everything ..good on you.. I bet your are tired but feeling kinda proud of yourself.. :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    You would have been most welcome, Barbara - we could have had a whale of a time! I think there are times when you just have to go for it and ignore the consequences (and yes, there are quite a few going on at the moment, bruising up the backs of my legs being the biggest issue thanks to climbing in and out of the motorhome and the bunk I slept in) but witch hazel is helping those.

Yes, I forgot to say that we hired a motorhome as tenting is absolutely out of the question for me, as would be using a campervan. There's quite a bit of me one way and another and, as living in the first two options involve quite a bit of being bent double (life is complicated enough without trying to live it at right-angles) we went for a six-berth motorhome (mainly because it was the only one we could find to rent). I drove it too. :shock: It was terrific fun!

Starburst, thank you for your very kind words but I ain't amazing, far from it. There's only one way to make memories and that's to get out there and do things. The difference in my leg muscles after all the hilly walking in Cornwall and then the festival has made a huge difference to the strength in my leg muscles so I am now researching personal trainers to learn how to maintain these new levels of 'fitness'. DD