Diagnosed with Psioratic arthritis and suffering hip pain

Mart888
Mart888 Member Posts: 4
Hi, I'm 52 year old fella, very recently diagnosed with PA. I've suffered with arthritis for years but the psioratic connection has only just become apparent. I've trouble in several joints but the main problem for me is my hips, it's really limiting what I can do and is getting me down a bit. I'm off work at the mo because I had arthroscopy to my wrist few weeks ago and would really like to go take a nice walk but the pain becomes quite severe. Earlier on in the year I went to the Chinese New Year celebrations in central London. Had to walk couple, maybe three miles and when I got back to my car I was literally crippled for 45 mins. For some reason I kept underplaying the pain and have suffered like this probably for a year and a half. I'm due to see my consultant on the 29th to hopefully start medication to help but may I ask if there is anything I can do to help myself?
I'm a lift engineer so when I return to work I'll be doing more than my fair share of stairs! :-( That concerns me, I am not sure how I will cope (but hopefully meds can help) and that causes some friction at home. I can't help worry because I have to do a lot of overtime just to keep our head above water. When I'm working lots of hours and the pain catches up with me I take Naproxen to help but recently even that is losing effectiveness.
Any advise most welcome.
Mart.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums, Mart888, from the moderation team.

I am not a member of the helpline team so will leave them to reply to your post tomorrow morning.

Feel free to join in anywhere you like you will be made very welcome.

Best wishes

Ellen
  • Mart888
    Many thanks Ellen :)
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi Mart,

Thank you for your post.

I am so sorry to hear that you’ve been experiencing such a lot of pain and discomfort with your hips. It sounds like it has been quite tricky for you recently, particularly if the Naproxen isn’t helping much anymore.

I am pleased to read that you will be seeing your consultant very soon, they are best placed to guide you with the medication side of things.

In the meantime, try to pace yourself. You may need more rest during the day if you are feeling very tired. Exercise is important for keeping your joints moving, so do what you can. I am not sure if you have a physiotherapist, but this maybe something to discuss with your consultant.

Eating a good, healthy diet with lots of fruit and vegetables will give you more energy. You also might like to consider taking some Omega 3 fish oils – these may help with soreness in the joints.

Here is the link to Arthritis Research’s booklet on Psoriatic Arthritis that includes lots of useful information:

http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/conditions/psoriatic-arthritis/what-is-psoriatic-arthritis.aspx

If you’d like to chat anything through, do feel free to give us a call on our Freephone helpline (0808 800 4050 Mon-Fri 9:30am-5pm) - we would be more than happy to hear from you.

Best wishes,

Emma-Jane (Helplines Team)
  • Mart888
    Many thx Emma-Jane. :-)