Time to say Goodbye

Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 23. Jul 2017, 04:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am still going through the S L O W process of applying for early retirement on health grounds (being made extra slow by my LA), so technically I am not leaving the school I work at tomorrow but I am going in tomorrow to say my goodbyes.
It's the end of the school year and 16 members of staff are leaving including the Head who has been so supportive of me over the past 4 years and as some others I have worked closely with are also leaving it feels right to go in. It also means that I will miss the whole "good bye to you" thing which I hate.
I am more and more convinced that I have done the right thing for me at the right time. I work with my body, not against it, most of the time at least, and have found things to stimulate my mind and new opportunities and challenges.

Tomorrow will be emotional, I will be saying goodbye not just to the school, but also to my teaching career and that will be tough. But every ending is also a new beginning ...or so I will keep reminding myself.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Slosh, wanted to say hope tomorrow goes as well as it can for you. As you say, with others leaving the 'focus' of attention won't be on you solely and hopefully that will help.

In the past when I've left jobs I've just wanted to have as normal a day as possible on my last day, then quietly disappear. Hasn't always worked out like that but always been my preference whenever possible.

Please let us know how it goes and I hope you get all the paperwork sorted out soon.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Slosh
    Thank you, it will be good to see people, I had a lovely welcome when I went to the school summer fair but quite a few were expecting me back in September as nothing has been said about my plans. As for the process it will take as l9ng as it will take but at least I am still being paid, and every monty means a bit extra in my pension pot which is good as I won't get my state pension for another 10yrs which is a long way off.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    :o :shock: :D

Slosh, don't ever do that to me again. I thought you meant you were saying goodbye to the forum :shock:

I hope tomorrow will pass as well as possible. Yes, it will be bitter/sweet but you know you are doing / have done the right thing.

Your last paragraph should be compulsory reading for anyone considering doing something similar. We, on here, are witnesses to the fact that you've done your level best to stay in your work despite all that arthritis threw at you. You have so many triumphs to count and, yes, this final goodbye is also a triumph because, as usual, you have taken a very sensible decision to embark on pastures new and, hopefully, a bit more suited to your body's needs.

Go for it!

Just don't dare EVER say goodbye to us :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Big hugs.
  • Slosh
    Sticky, I'm not meant to be crying until tomorrow! But thank you for those lovely words especially as I am aware I have been less active than usual on the forum.
    This forum has been a god send and I am SO thankful for all the friendship, support and understanding I have recieved on here.
    Julian of Norwich
  • TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    I have no idea how hard it must be leaving a job you clearly love, but as you said it's the right thing to do.

Wishing you all the best, and i'll have the tissues on standby.

Alastair
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
  • Natalie1712
    Natalie1712 Member Posts: 63
    I hope all goes well today for you Slosh.
    I imagine it will be very, very hard but you are doing what is best for you and that's the most important thing.
    Sending big hugs :) x
  • Slosh
    So far so good! The focus is on the others who are actually leaving today (I am still employed at the school) but it was lovely to go in for the final assembly. Just clearing out the last of my own bits from my office and my teaching books I have passed to a friend who is starting to work for her QTS in September.

I have also thrown away my Red Pen! No more marking for me.
    Julian of Norwich
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Slosh, good news. Hope throwing your red pen away was therapeutic! I expect you are amazed how much you have accumulated in your office? Trust the rest of the day goes ok.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Slosh
    It was downhill after that!
    I just got in a strange kind of limbo is officially still a member of staff but I won't be going back in September. It was made harder by the fact that most of Royal aware of the situation and so were asking me about September/hoping to see me in the new term so I had to keep on explaining that I wouldn't be back. Everyone was very is supported though and not said they had noticed I was starting to struggle more and so weren't surprised.
    I did lose it though when I set my personal goodbye to the headteacher, he really has been incredibly supportive of me and he is someone who really lives his Christian faith in his everyday actions without being "preachy". I suddenly remembered that when I joined the school six years ago I immediately felt at home there and decided it was the school at which I wanted to work for the rest of my teaching career – however I hadn't expected that come quite so soon or in the circumstances.
    Later I was sitting in the classroom of a really good friend and I cried, she was there with the hugs and the tissues. I saw the head again when I was leaving and I must have been still looking quite upset as he noticed it and came out to have lost little chat with me.
    I felt very clearly down when I got home my body was soon telling me that I'd made the right decision is even though I hadn't done any work as such today just being in school for whole day really knocked me sideways so to speak.
    And I don't know if it was just a coincidence or where ever it something the mods are responsible for but they featured me and my story on their posts today which resulted in a lovely encouraging message on Facebook from a stranger.

I went public on Facebook as well today with the news and again got some lovely comments on their from friends – although my sister just gave the post a like!

Going to take it easy tomorrow and then Saturday I'm off to spend the day with my daughter son-in-law and my three wonderful grandchildren,

And I was also told by several people that when I do officially leave I'm going to have a proper goodbye.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Just some hugs from me {{{{{ }}}}}. It will take a while to really sink in, or at least it did for me, it was really after everyone was back in school post holidays that I knew it was really happening. Maybe plan something special to do in early September, time with the grandchildren or a few days away with a good friend...that's what I did. I'm sure that when your poor joints begin to feel the joy of a more relaxed life style you'll know it was the right thing for you.

Enjoy the next few weeks, it's the exciting beginning of the rest of your life, and who knows what wonderfully fulfilling things await you.
    As perhaps a word of encouragement, I was in the same position 5 years ago, and looking back I absolutely know it was right, and on my bad days I can gentle my way in to the day and allow myself to do as much or as little as I can cope with, it is truly life enhancing to give yourself permission to say "not that, not today, maybe tomorrow, or maybe something different and gentler".

Every blessing

Deb xxxx
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    I, too, thought you were leaving and I was getting quite upset.

Anyway, I wanted to say that I don't know many who have worked as hard as you to keep on at your job. You have persevered when many would have given up. You never let your health drive you but you drove it and you kept on. You are very inspirational and you may not have known it but you have helped me. The way you have approached your work and health has been inspiring and motivating and I wanted you to know this. You've touched many lives in your line of work and I know your hard working legacy will live on in the children you have taught.

This is your new chapter, your new start. I believe in you and know you will make the best of whatever life throws your way.

Enjoy the summer and I hope for sunshine days ahead.
  • Slosh
    Dibdab,
    I have been off for nearly a term now, you know it's not good when you have to take time off the first week back after a holiday! It's just a case of going through the process and the LA I work for don't seem to be in any hurry! My body is appreciating the fact that I can now work with it rather than against it, and I am adjusting to a more relaxed pace of life, something which doesn't come easy after 30+ years of timetables, targets, pressure ....The idea of doing something in September is a good idea and I will look into giving myself a treat.

Starburst,
    For you to write what you did,, with all you have dealt with in the past couple of months, let alone over the past years is humbling. I admire you so much for your bravery and persevence.

One good thing about going in was that it reminded me why I have come to this decision as I had forgotten how challenging I found it. But, one friend has suggested I look into developing some origami workshops for schools (providing it doesn't affect my pension), and I'm also thinking about developing some "Disability Awareness" themed assembly talks and Staff Inset based around my own dusability/difficulties to deliver on a voluntary basis (with a donation to Arthritis Care).
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi slosh sorry this is late
    I can only imagine how emotional this was for you, like you say the right thing for you , and I really do wish you a good retirement :) ..xx
    Love
    Barbara