Pocket duties required for 21st

TheLordFlasheart
TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
edited 26. Jul 2017, 09:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'll be seeing my GP this Friday at 5:20pm to discuss a referral for an arthroscopy, after my latest steriod injection failed (only lasted 2 days).

If anyone is free this Friday, i'll be sure to need the support, as this is a big step in my arthritis journey.

Alastair
"Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    You can definitely count us in Alastair :)

Ellen
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    I'll be there too Alastair. You will be referred you've tried everything else now

Love

Toni x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Me too. As frog says, you've done all you were asked so I can foresee no problems but it's always an anxious time. My fingers are crossed.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    You can pop me in too
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • TheLordFlasheart
    First of all a big thank you for those who were able to attend pocket duties at my GP appointment, it was a real boost.

So I talked to my GP about how the latest steroid injection failed miserably, and losing sleep almost every night and generally poor qualiity of life. She was happy to refer my to orthopeadics for an arthroscopy (she was wary at first due to my age, but agreed in the end).

I've also been prescribed amitriptyline to see if that will help me get some sleep in the mean time, and right now i'm willing to try anything.

Alastair
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I think that's as near to a result as we get, Alistair. I hope the amitryp helps.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Alister I was there in your pocket..honest.. :) so glad it went to plan..now fingers crossed for the arthroscopy..I take amytriptaline at night, its a godsend..but tale it a few hours before bed..hope it helps..
    Love
    Barbara
  • TheLordFlasheart
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hello Alister I was there in your pocket..honest.. :) so glad it went to plan..now fingers crossed for the arthroscopy..I take amytriptaline at night, its a godsend..but tale it a few hours before bed..hope it helps..

I've got finger, toes etc crossed for the arthroscopy, but I got atleast a three month wait to see an orthopeadic surgeon. In the mean time it's coping the best I can, and it's early days, but the amytriptaline is helping, had 3 nights in a row of a full nights sleep - pure heaven!

Alastair
  • Slosh
    Glad the amtriptyline is working, just getting a good night's sleep makes a huge difference.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I am so please the Amytriptalins are working..a good sleep make you feel much better ..I do hope the wait isn't to long for you, maybe ask about a cancellation list..
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    I am so glad the amitriptyline is helping you sticking plaster over until you can see someone Alastair.

Fingers crossed the appointment is soon.

You have tried everything else so deserve a break now.

Love

Toni x
  • TheLordFlasheart
    Thanks again for everyones replies, really keeps me going.

Barbara/Slosh - I'm glad i'm now getting a decent nights sleep, I feel less groggy in the mornings and more refreshed.

Frogmorton - I know it's a sticking plaster, but it's helping and yes I do deserve a break.

Alastair
  • Slosh
    A decent night's sleep makes such a difference. I've been struggling a lot recently so as I'm no longer working I talked to my GP and he's given me some antihistamines that cause drowsiness, I don't take them every night just when needed but it makes a huge difference.
    Julian of Norwich
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Great to know that the meds are helping. With regards to the arthroscopy, I know in some areas of the UK they no longer do them as they say there's no benefits from having these done. But I do know each area varies wildly. I've had several 'scopes in the past, sadly they didn't help me long-term, but that's not to say it won't help you as we are all individual.

Have you considered finding out which consultant you've been referred to, calling his/her secretary and asking to be put on a cancellation list for your outpatient appt? Might shorten the wait. If you are then listed for any kind of surgery, again ask to go on the cancellation list. I've regularly done this in the past and it paid-off each time so it was worth the effort! However, if you are given a cancellation you might only get a few days notice so if you can't react that quickly it might be a case of gritting your teeth and plodding on.

In the meantime, take care of yourself.
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!