MRI on neck tomorrow hate that machine

JenniferB27
JenniferB27 Member Posts: 74
edited 3. Aug 2017, 04:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
This will be my 3rd MRI scan. Two previous on mt wrists so didnt have to go fully into the machine. Tomorrow it is on my neck and I am petrified in case I freak out as I hate confined spaces! I really need to do it as I have suspected cervical Spondylosis and need to know how to manage it if that is the diagnosis. Really starting to panic.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I've only ever had one MRI. I had a broken hip at the time and was fairly out of it on morphine so I don't remember too much of the experience. I don't exactly remember it as a pleasant experience and I don't particularly fancy another but, I guess, sometimes needs must.

I know others on here have suggested taking a favourite, soothing CD. Are blindfolds allowed? (Not being able to see how confined one is ought to help.)

I guess it boils down to mind over matter. Remember that virtual pocket dwellers can get into any confined space and I'm sure I won't be the only one to offer my services. We can hold your hands and ensure you don't feel all alone in there.

On a purely practical note, if you explain your anxieties might they give you a mild sedative? For my last colonoscopy the nurse taking my details virtually insisted though I told her I'd been OK on previous occasions.

Try not to think about it beforehand. Just distract your thoughts with anything that helps - a book, TV, computer or free fall parachute jumping if you like :wink: You can't make it any easier by worrying but you could make it seem worse than it actually is.

Good luck, Jennifer. I'll be - virtually - there if required. (But do let us know how you get on :wink: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Just sending some positive thoughts your way. I had a shoulder MRI a couple of years ago, like you I really struggle with confined space, but I got through it somehow. I took a favourite CD along to have it played through earphones whilst in the machine. The radiographer suggested asking my GP for a sedative if I need another, maybe it's worth a chat with your GP before going, or perhaps a friendly pharmacist if there isn't time to see your GP first.

Deb xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I am another that doesn't like confined spaces, its my only phobia.. :shock: but I have manage to do 3 so far..just try your very best to cut off and think of something nice..must say the last one I had the the headphones were broke so no music, this worked out much better..for the daydreaming... :o good luck with it..
    Love
    Barbara
  • littlemimmy
    littlemimmy Member Posts: 111
    I've had one MRI of my whole spine, and have just been referred for another one, since no-one can work out what's going on in there!

I have no problem with small spaces (can't be amongst lots of people though), but I do think that keeping your eyes closed helps, as it's quite disorientating in there. Having music to listen to can really help as well - I had the radio on and the mix of chatter and music was very distracting, which made the time go quickly, as I was in there for about 40 minutes.

I also had a mental list of things to think about. Mine were all work-related, but it really helped the time pass.

Sending positive thoughts and hoping it all goes well.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi I've had a few. Some of them have had music played and others haven't???
    To be honest if it is anything like my last one [about 2 weeks ago] It had music and it was very loud. I was there for 50 minutes :shock: I much preferred it without the music. I get lost in my own thoughts normally.
    Don't get me wrong.....I hate them as much as anyone else does.
    I'll pop into your pocket as well if you want pocket dwellers :lol:
    Let us know how it goes,

Love
    Hileena ps Sorry I've just seen this post now
  • JenniferB27
    JenniferB27 Member Posts: 74
    Thank you everyone for your help and support. I did well to be honest. I thought I was going to freak out when they put a cage thing around my head but it had a mirror on and it looked as though I could see directly out. It was a brand new machine so bigger and shorter which help a lot. Just have to wait 2 weeks for results now tho so fingers crossed it is something they can fix xxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Well done Jennifer :)

You did well fingers crossed for your results.

Toni xx
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    I'm pleased that you coped so well with this. I don't think anyone I've ever met, or known, enjoys the MRI process but sadly, it's a necessary evil. I'll keep my fingers crossed you get your results when promised.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • pot80
    pot80 Member Posts: 109
    I have only had one scan and never again - I hope. I had my shoulder scanned and took along a suitably soothing cd to listen to but the noise of the machine inside made it impossible to hear any thing. Every time the noise stopped and I thought that that was it over the voice said "the next scan is so many minutes" The only reason that I did not press the panic button was that since I had to be at the hospital by 7am and my wife had got up early to get me there I felt duty bound to see it through. I would have to be sedated
    before I ever go again (heaven forbid).
  • kazzab456
    kazzab456 Member Posts: 23
    Hi

I'm having a neck MRI done on Thursday, you mention that you get your results in 2 weeks will that be with a follow up out-patients appointment with your consultant? I've not received an appointment with my consultant yet and going off previous experience I've a feeling that I could be waiting 5-6 weeks before I see him so I was wondering if you know whether or not your gp gets a copy of the results? If GP's are sent the results I might give mine a call in a few weeks.

• mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    I've had a couple of MRI's and the last one was the worst, I know some people find it claustrophobic but I deal with it by closing my eye's and focusing on something I like, it generally works but the last one I had was 2 months ago and I was in the dam thing for 40 minutes with both my arms up above me head as they wanted to see into my liver as they suspected I had metastasising cells there, however I've also had 7 CT scans over the past year and although the machine is still a doughnut it's much wider and easy to lie in with your arms raised, the MRI scan was the worst I'd ever had as my left hand went totally numb within 10 minutes of me getting in, it was so dead it had no feeling and was so cold I worried I'd done some long term damage thankfully i hadn't but it was very uncomfortable when it started to come round, oh and the results were thankfully clear.
  • frogmorton
    kazzab456 wrote:
    Hi

I'm having a neck MRI done on Thursday, you mention that you If GP's are sent the results I might give mine a call in a few weeks.

Hi Kazz

I recently had a CT (have had MRIs in the past this was a CT I made an appointment to see my GP for 4 weeks later and she informed me that I would hear myself via the consultants so I had to ring there. I did and the sec told me he wants to see me apt made for 26th Sept!!

I have a feeling the 'system' may be different in different areas and the last thing you want is to patiently wait like me and for it to result in a long wait.

Is it worth contacting your consultant's secretary can make you an appointment ready??

Best of luck

Toni xxx

PS Hi Mell :)
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    Yes you get in touch with the consultants Secretary. I do for things like that and it speeds things up a bit. I have quite a good relationship with the secretary now. :)
    She is very good at speeding things along when I ring her

Love

Hileena
  • kazzab456
    kazzab456 Member Posts: 23
    Thanks I will try the Consultants Secretary in a few weeks time - though appointments are made through an appointment booking office and there's always a long waiting list. Earlier this year I was told by my consultant that I would see him again in 6-8 weeks, after 9 weeks and no appointment I rang up and was told that there was nothing available for the next 5 weeks.... I'm not very good at being ascertive though I do keep trying to be.
  • Sue
    Sue Member Posts: 40
    Hi, I am just curious what can be seen on a MRI scan which can't be seen on an X ray? I had an x ray on my neck which clearly showed the condition i.e. Four prolapsed discs and three diseased vertebrae. Also, does it make a difference to the treatment? In my case all that has been offered is painkillers.

Regards,
    Sue
  • frogmorton
    MRIs are amazing! They show your nerves; which ones are being pressed on for instance as well as other 'soft' tissue. X-rays can only picture dense soft tissues. They give them 3D images in 'slices' through the area they are looking at. No radiation either I think I was told.

BUT of course MRIs are much more expensive so often it's an X-ray initially.

Sorry that's as much as I know Sue :)

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    When my knee was at its fattest (due to my undiagnosed auto-immune arthritis) the MRI that was done clearly showed all the pockets of fluid, it looked very similar to the surface of a cauliflower. The Xrays done prior had hinted they were there but the lack of detail was not helpful enough for the orthopaedic surgeon whose task was to excise the solidified swelling.

I can't remember the exact details of your condition but if it's OA or OA-related then pain relief and maybe and anti-inflammatory medication is the standard method of treatment until surgery (if possible) becomes an option. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben