Leaving nursing.

Michebabes
Michebabes Member Posts: 5
Hello everyone.
I really hope someone can help me please.
I am a nurse and I am 58 years old and work 2 days a week. I have OA in both my feet. I have already had a mid foot fusion on one and am having another on the other one soon. I also have it in my left knee and need a replacement. It's in my lower back which makes walking and bending very hard. Lastly it is also in my thumb base on my left hand and it makes picking things up really hard, even a piece of paper. Luckily I'm right handed, but it's difficult with being a nurse and having to use both my hands.
I've been on lots of different painkillers which are not working and I keep trying different ones with the help of my Drs.
What I'm asking is. I took early retirement and drew my nhs pension due to my arthritis and then went back to work on a part time contract. It is getting harder to work these two days now
also. Has anyone else been through the same problem? And how did you finish work? Thank you. Michelle.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Michelle

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will find support, advice, light relief and friendship on here. There are several people on here with Osteoarthritis, and if you post again to the Living with Arthritis section I am sure there will be people who will advise you and offer you support. This section is the one most used and what most people go on.

Arthritis Care has a web site:www.arthritiscare.org.uk where you will find help and information in their various sections. There is also a freephone helpline (Monday/friday 10-4). 08080 800 4050.

Arthritis Care also produces some booklets for people with arthritis. There are two you may be interested in Living with Arthritis and Osteoarthritis. They can be found at: www.arthritiscare.org.uk/livingwitharthritis and www.arthritiscare.org.uk/livingwithosteoarthritis.

I am one of the moderation team, we all have one or more of the arthritis 'hangers' or look after family members who have the same.

Best wishe
    ChrisK
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Michelle I'm no expert but here are a few hopefully relevant old threads on a similar subject:

https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14327&hilit=retire+nurse

https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=38902&p=516752&hilit=retire+nurse#p516752

I wish you the best of luck

Toni xx