edited 27. Jul 2017, 09:01 in Community Chit-chat archive
Just been told may need a knee op does anyone know if it will affect my travel
insurance while I am waiting to see consultant

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Cruiser,

Welcome to the forum, does your name 'Cruiser' reflect your preferred type of holiday? I would guess, if you already have travel insurance the best way to go is to ring and check.

Here's a leaflet produced by Arthritis Care which should help

https://arthritiscare.org.uk/assets/000/001/532/Factsheet_travel_160816_(revised)_for_web_original.pdf?1472221418

Is osteoarthritis your condition leading to a possibility of a new knee? It can take a little while to get from GP to (in Wales) to physio to orthopaedic surgeon before the decision on whether or not to operate is made. It may be this process takes you beyond this years excursions!

Here is the booklet on surgery for arthritis, which, I hope, will be of use when surgery is considered

https://arthritiscare.org.uk/assets/000/001/312/Surgery_FINAL_260116_for_web_original.pdf?1455630709

Take care
    Yvonne
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Unfortunately I think the answer is yes. If you are waiting to see a consultant you have what travel insurers call an 'undiagnosed condition'. This usually means they will not insure you for anything connected with it.

If you already have insurance tell them of what's happening. If not, still be upfront when booking it. Otherwise, if anything goes wrong and they can possibly conect it with your knee, they won't pay up. If you tell them of your situation they'll probably be willing to insure you for anything except that knee. If so, you may wish to just chance it. But, worst case scenario, it could get very expensive.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    An afterthought. If you already have your travel insurance and had told them of your OA you may well be covered for problems arising as a result of it.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    I think it will affect it too as you are waiting for surgery is a question they ask isn't it?

My travel insurance has been relatively straight forward in recent years, but my daughters hasn't due to cancer treatment, epilepsy (made unstable by said treatment) and two joint surgeries (caused by said treatment) so I remember the questions well :roll:

Best of luck

Toni xx
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    If it were me, I'd tell them in writing and get them to acknowledge - in writing - that you've done this. Take copies of everything away with you on holiday as well. If it puts your premium up a few pounds much better that than you need to claim and be refused as you haven't disclosed everything.

Hope you get it sorted.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    GraceB wrote:
    If it were me, I'd tell them in writing and get them to acknowledge - in writing - that you've done this. Take copies of everything away with you on holiday as well. If it puts your premium up a few pounds much better that than you need to claim and be refused as you haven't disclosed everything.

Hope you get it sorted.

GraceB

Excellent advice Grace. the last thing you want is not to be covered.
  • stickywicket
    When we buy our annual insurance for going to see our son in USA we might research online but then we always ring up and sort it over the phone to ensure we don't miss anything. They always send us a sheet detailing all we've disclosed. As GraceB and frogmorton have said - better safe than sorry.
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    If you are awaiting any treatment, surgeries or tests the unfortunately, you are looking at a raised premium. Some travel companies will cover you regardless but in these situations, you are best speaking to a human on the phone instead of online. I made an error when travelling to America and I wasn't covered for one element and then, I had to take out another whole policy which, of course, included everything else. It cost a bomb! Big mistake.