Early retirement and ESA

Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
If I am successful in my application for this and manage to get it enhanced (means that I am unable to teach/work for more than a day a week), I will have 10 years to wait until I get my state pension. Would I be eligible for ESA in the intervening years?
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I've just google it and came back with this..

Unlike means-tested benefits, there is no income and savings test for contributory ESA. However, your ESA is reduced by half the amount of any pension or permanent health insurance payment received in excess of £85.

So you'll get a reduced level dependant on how much you are receiving pension wise, either way it's worth giving it a go, however I don't know about savings so maybe you could look that up and or ask your local Citizens Advice.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Thanks for that, still waiting for my independant OH review and consultants letter so nothing happening yet.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Carrot
    Carrot Member Posts: 2
    Hi

I have to wait another 4 and half years for my pension. I am struggling to work due to pain and poor mobility . Does anyone have any experience of claiming PIP?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums, Carrot, from the moderation team.

I am sorry to hear you are so much pain and have 4 years yet until you can claim your pension.

Many people on here have applied for PIP, I am sure you will get advice and support from them. In the meantime I am attaching a link to Arthritis Care’s information about benefits I hope it helps:

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis/financial-support-and-arthritis

As moderators we are here to help with any problems you may have using the message boards so feel free to send us a message if you need to.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Ellen
  • Carrot
    Carrot Member Posts: 2
    moderator wrote:
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums, Carrot, from the moderation team.

I am sorry to hear you are so much pain and have 4 years yet until you can claim your pension.

Many people on here have applied for PIP, I am sure you will get advice and support from them. In the meantime I am attaching a link to Arthritis Care’s information about benefits I hope it helps:

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis/financial-support-and-arthritis

As moderators we are here to help with any problems you may have using the message boards so feel free to send us a message if you need to.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Ellen
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    HI Carrot are you new? If so welcome from me.

People might not have seen your question as it's in another thread, but Ellen is right loads of people on here have applied for and successfully claimed PIP

This is worth a read and might give you an idea whether you are eligible before you start:

https://www.gov.uk/pip/eligibility

and for help completing forms if you need it as well as other financial advice there is always Citizen's Advice:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

I think there is nothing at all lost in applying, apart form the time it takes to fill in the forms.

I successfully applied for it for my daughter (then 16) when she had cancer, epilepsy and Avascular Necrosis (hip later in her shoulder too). In my opinion it's crucial to fill the forms in well and carefully.

ALWAYS keep a photocopy too.

Best of luck

Toni xx