Hello again

petals
petals Member Posts: 217
edited 8. Aug 2017, 10:48 in Say Hello Archive
Hello everyone, I've been a member on here for a few years but as I have been away for some time, I just thought I would re introduce myself. I have had RA for the past 7 yrs and along with everyone else, I ride the roller coaster that us RA.

I hope you are all ok and keep on keeping on.

Petals X

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Petals,

Just wanted to say welcome back, it's lovely to see you posting.

I hope your return isn't because of a turn for the worse health wise though I'm sure we can help if it is (and even if it isn't)

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's lovely to hear from you again, I hope you are as well as possible but if not I hope we can help. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • petals
    Thanks Yvonne and Daisy,

I am not too bad at present but I have just started a new job and I am definitely feeling the strain. I am not sure if I will be able to stick at it but I will give it a blooming good try.
    The trouble is, I haven't told my new employer that I have RA so I am hoping I won't need to take any sick leave in the near future.

I know, honesty is the best policy, but not in this case. I have emigrated and am now living in a nice warm climate, which is great for my joints. Unfortunately, when I applied for jobs, as soon as they read about my RA on application forms, that was the last I heard from them. So, after a year of getting nowhere, I just kept quiet and hey presto I got a job.

Once it takes its toll, I expect I will be on here moaning like heck. Ha ha, in the mean time I am enjoying my new life in my new country and I actually have some money to spend

Xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hey, welcome back and well done!

I remember your long struggle for P.I.P. so it must have been very daunting to give it up and search for work albeit in a warmer, kinder-to-joints country. I don't think many would have the courage to take that leap in the dark and I do hope it continues to work for you. Would you be eligible for a similar benefit to P.I.P. if the arthritis doesn't play ball? Let's hope you never have to find out :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • petals
    Hi Stickywicket

How nice of you to remember me.

Yes the nightmare that was PIP. How could I forget that?

Here in Australia you have to be resident for 10 yrs before you are entitled to sickness benefits, so giving it up when I left the UK was indeed a big risk.

On the other hand, I have received excellent care for my arthritis.

We have walk in centres for things like X-rays where you simply join the queue and wait your turn. If you need a CT scan you usually need an appointment but it will be done within the week and results are handed to the patient the next day with a copy going electronically to the GP. All X-rays and scans are free of charge though I do have to pay to see my rheumatologist and I have to travel about 60 miles to see him as I live in a country town. I have had one bad flare up since I arrived here almost 2 yrs ago whereas I used to flare every couple of months (at least) in UK

I am prescribed the same drugs as I had in the UK, methotrexate and plaquenil and folic acid. I pay about $6 (£3.75) for my methx but I get 6 months supply for that so it's very cheap.

My new job is very interesting, but it means I am on my feet for more hrs than I am comfortable with. I have also enrolled on a course in disability care which I am completing alongside my job so my day is very long and exhausting at the moment, but,in 8 weeks time I will be a qualified care assistant. Once I get my certificate I will look for work in community health and leave my current job.

My partner has a good job which he really enjoys so it's all good.

Emotionally and financially it has cost us a lot to move here but Australia is a beautiful country and I feel very privileged to live here.
    Petals xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I love your positive attitude. Australia is about as far as you can go without a space rocket :wink: and it must have been quite a terrifying leap into the dark. I'm so glad it seems to be working out well for you. Long may that continue.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright