Which car is best for arthritis sufferers

LesleyJ1509
LesleyJ1509 Member Posts: 26
edited 15. Aug 2017, 05:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been driving a Renault scenic for a number of years now and it has just died on me. I have osteoporosis in my knees, back, Neck and hand and feet. I struggle to get into low cars. I welcome any suggestions for which car would be best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
love from
Lesley
xx

“Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow.”
― Mary Anne Radmacher

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi there,

I think what's best for you will be a case of trial and error. I struggle with low cars...my hubbies Vauxhall Astra isn't good for me, my Vauxhall Corsa is higher and therefore easier to get in and out. I used to have a Citroen C3 which sat high off the road, I loved it and was really sad when it reached the end of its useful life. On the other hand, anything too high is a struggle for me, I'm only 5'1" so big steps up into the likes of a people carrier or minibus gives me really painful knees and hips.

Good luck with the search.

Debx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    It's a matter of personal preference. I have a Citroen C3 and may upgrade to a C4 (event though it won't fit in the garage) as the passenger seat in that model is height-adjustable; this will make my life as a passenger more comfortable. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • LesleyJ1509
    I struggle with the hand brake and Renault has an electronic handbrake that is a touch button. Thanks for all your replies.... I will just have to try a few out. My hubbys sisters daughter has been awarded pip for mobility and they got her a car.... which is also a Renault. Will let you know what i decided though my research and it may be of some help to someone else in future.

love from
    Lesley
    xx

“Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow.”
    ― Mary Anne Radmacher
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I think it's a 'suck it and see' thing. We're all disabled differently and have different needs. Try as many as possible from all aspects - driver, passenger, loading the boot etc. My Motability Automatic Minis all had an adapted pull on / push off handbrake and the brake and accelerator pedals moved.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Natalie1712
    Natalie1712 Member Posts: 63
    I think it just depends on where you get the most pain. When my knees and hips got bad last year we traded our small Low car in for an SUV as it was the perfect height for me and didn't hurt so much getting into it. We have a Suzuki SX4 s-cross and I have to say it's one of the comfiest cars I've driven. Good luck finding something 😊 X
  • LesleyJ1509
    I think it just depends on where you get the most pain. When my knees and hips got bad last year we traded our small Low car in for an SUV as it was the perfect height for me and didn't hurt so much getting into it. We have a Suzuki SX4 s-cross and I have to say it's one of the comfiest cars I've driven. Good luck finding something [emoji4] X
    Thanks so much for your help xx

love from
    Lesley
    xx

― Mary Anne Radmacher
  • LesleyJ1509
    I think it's a 'suck it and see' thing. We're all disabled differently and have different needs. Try as many as possible from all aspects - driver, passenger, loading the boot etc. My Motability Automatic Minis all had an adapted pull on / push off handbrake and the brake and accelerator pedals moved.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply x

love from
    Lesley
    xx

― Mary Anne Radmacher
  • LesleyJ1509
    dibdab wrote:
    Hi there,

I think what's best for you will be a case of trial and error. I struggle with low cars...my hubbies Vauxhall Astra isn't good for me, my Vauxhall Corsa is higher and therefore easier to get in and out. I used to have a Citroen C3 which sat high off the road, I loved it and was really sad when it reached the end of its useful life. On the other hand, anything too high is a struggle for me, I'm only 5'1" so big steps up into the likes of a people carrier or minibus gives me really painful knees and hips.

Good luck with the search.

Debx
    Thanks Deb xx

love from
    Lesley
    xx

― Mary Anne Radmacher
  • LesleyJ1509
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    It's a matter of personal preference. I have a Citroen C3 and may upgrade to a C4 (event though it won't fit in the garage) as the passenger seat in that model is height-adjustable; this will make my life as a passenger more comfortable. DD
    Thanks for taking the time to reply xx

love from
    Lesley
    xx

― Mary Anne Radmacher
  • Gobutslow
    Gobutslow Member Posts: 23
    Due to Hubby being disabled and needing to use his scooter out and about,we have tried every large car out there.
    We ended up with a Citroen Belingo.
    It has made a huge difference to the pain I get in my lower back/hip area.
    I can now do long journeys (280 miles), as the car seat is so comfy.
    Hubby says it's a dream to drive compared to our old car that was a Ford Mondeo.
    The boot also has a huge boot and can fit the boot scooter (sterling 2) and all the shopping bags. :lol:
  • LesleyJ1509
    Gobutslow wrote:
    Due to Hubby being disabled and needing to use his scooter out and about,we have tried every large car out there.
    We ended up with a Citroen Belingo.
    It has made a huge difference to the pain I get in my lower back/hip area.
    I can now do long journeys (280 miles), as the car seat is so comfy.
    Hubby says it's a dream to drive compared to our old car that was a Ford Mondeo.
    The boot also has a huge boot and can fit the boot scooter (sterling 2) and all the shopping bags. :lol:
    I can see this is going to take a while to sort out. Thanks for sharing x

love from
    Lesley
    xx

― Mary Anne Radmacher
  • Malcolm
    Malcolm Member Posts: 1
    For the last 6 years I have relied on my Land rover Freelander.
    The important things are the seat is just the right height to be able to get on to it from ground level without bending legs or back (I'm 6 feet tall). It has no door sill to have to lift the outside foot over, and it has automatic gearbox so no clutch to push down, and hardly ever need the handbrake.
    My Wife has had Renault Kango & Citroen Berlingo. These are both good at my height, and her height of 5 Foot 8. Although the Kango does have a door sill to lift foot over. Neither are automatic, and I cannot drive them in traffic due to clutch. The Kango is good as the floor in the rear is fairly low, and its easy to put a portable ramp on to be able to run the battery scooter up in to it.
  • pot80
    pot80 Member Posts: 109
    The best car is the one that suits your requirements. I had a Renault scenic which suited me just fine,easy to get in and out,and had a big accessible luggage space without a lip so it was easy to load and was useful to sit on and change into my walking boots. I find many cars easy to get into but hell to get out from. All went well until the air bag exploded on a motorway so the car became illegal and dangerous to drive. It had been serviced by a small Ford dealership all its life and as luck would have it there was a low mileage automatic Ford Fusion for sale in very good condition which answered my requirements. Easy to get both in and out and no gear lever. I only do a very small mileage.
  • LesleyJ1509
    So after all the research I have gone for the same car but a newer version and an automatic..... as they say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!" I must say that an automatic car is a dream and I wonder why I have left it this long to realise that! I actually look forward to going out for a drive now! Thanks again for all the support xxx

love from
    Lesley
    xx

― Mary Anne Radmacher
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    You'll get as many replies as there are cars! I have a Skoda Octavia with a small petrol automatic, goes like stink and handles well, so there, different thoughts already and I get about 48mpg average, 54 on a long run and comfortable to drive.

I am thinking about the Yeti next (if PIP allows), a taller vehicle and easier to get out of (its easy to fall into any car!) without hurting. I'm not impressed with many cars because of the engines, a lot haven't been updated and won't do many mpg and I certainly wouldn't bring another diesel into this world.

I'd quite like an electric car but until they become available through the Motability scheme that will not happen.