Child with Arthritus

Options
Searchinggforanswers
Searchinggforanswers Member Posts: 2
edited 18. Aug 2017, 04:55 in Say Hello Archive
Just browsing the internet looking for positive advice for helping my active, sporty, guitar playing, teenage daughter live with her recent diagnosis of juvenile arthritis/RF positive (still very active at the moment despite 3 lots of 3 days of IV steroids, oral steroids and methotrexate injections - waiting for methotrexate to kick in) . We have received fabulous care from consultants, nurses, OT and physio so far - could not have been better but feel it's time for me to step out a little and look for information myself.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi searchingforanswers,
    welcome to the online community you have certainly come to the right place to get more information and also to meet others who will be able to share their experience with you. I am sorry to hear that your daughter has been diagnosed with Juvenile arthritis, it must be very difficult for you as a mum. It is good to know that you have got such a supportive team as this is such an important part of the treatment for your daughter. We have a whole section of the website that is dedicated to parents of children with arthritis https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis/my-child-has-arthritis
    we also run courses for young people and families that you may find useful, you just need to add your location to the search to see what is going on in your area. https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/our-services-and-support/events/filter:Young people and families
    However if there is nothing presently happening in your area you can also email us on services@arthritiscare.org.uk for more information about our services. Lastly we have a helpline for young people and families called The source you can phone them free on 0808 800 4050 If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask. The best place to post is the "living with arthritis" section as this is visited by the most members.
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello searchinggforanswers :)

A quick welcome from me and a (()) or two and a large dollop of empathy.

I am on the forum for myself, but my youngest daughter was diagnosed with leukaemia at 3 weeks after her 16th birthday 2 and a half years of chemo followed and resulted in avascular necrosis in her left hip and right shoulder.

She has had surgery on her hip, (September) and a new shoulder at the end of January.

She is now applying for work!!

So I think what I'm saying is I understand how scary this all is - well terrifying and huge actually - but things should get better for her (and you too) once they get the arthritis under control.

Sending much love

Toni xxx