Hello I'm New

Options
Polly66
Polly66 Member Posts: 12
edited 31. Aug 2017, 06:22 in Say Hello Archive
Where do I start??
Had osteoarthritis for last 15 years ish and now 51 I'm utterly fed up and in so much pain!

Had arthroscopy on right knee in 2008 at which point consultant said he wouldn't recommend doing any further surgery as arthritis was significant in that knee, had lots of steroid injections over the years which now have very little effect. Currently have arthritis in both knees, ankle, hands and fingers. Also added to that I have gout at present a particularly painful attack in my hands. I have developed pain too of my spine and I'm worried that this is also arthritis. Currently taking allopurinol, paracetamol, 30mg codeine and celecoxib been prescribed recently which I'm too worried about taking. I need something to help with inflammation from gout so any suggestions or thoughts on celecoxib would be appreciated.

Thank you :-)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Poly66 and welcome to the forums from the moderation team.

You do seem to have a lot going on, but have come to the right place for support from people who understand.

We have a great community here, who have lots of experience of arthritis who I know will make you very welcome and help in any way they can.

Celecoxib is a Cox-2 inhibitor non-steroidal anti-inflammatory, (NSAID), drug see below for information about NSAIDs:

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/treatments-aids-and-equipment/medication-for-your-arthritis-/non-steroidal-anti-inflammatory-drugs

I personally take Arcoxia which is also a Cox2 inhibitor and find is really very helpful after a few days, but hopefully someone will be along who takes Celecoxib soon.

As moderators we are here to help with any problems you have using the forums. Feel free to contact us if you need our help.

I look forward to seeing you posting in future.

Best wishes

Ellen.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Poor you!

Why wouldn't the knee surgeon do a total knee replacement for you if he says it's so bad I wonder :?

Mind you, you have so much going on it might not be the main problem for you.

I also take Arcoxia and have done for years (when necessary) and it works well.

What worries you about taking your celecoxib? Is it worry about side effects? I usually take mine as and when needed, a week or two (usually) maximum.

Please do come along in and join us all we are a friendly bunch.

Toni xxx
  • Polly66
    Polly66 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank you Toni and Ellen for your reply, my main worry about the celecoxib is the side effects and the links with heart attack and stroke. My GP seems to think I am too young to be considered for knee replacement and has referred me back to physio, to be honest physio has not been that effective in the past. Seems like I'm going round in circles..
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I have psoriatic arthritis (PsA, an auto-immune type) and the joint damage that caused has led to OA in some very useful places. I began back in 1997 with the first one, the OA was diagnosed in 2011. You mention gout - my husband has the odd bout which he is able to sort out with a few days of naproxen, an anti-inflammatory. Am I right in thinking that allopurinol is a treatment for gout?

I am bone-on-bone through both knees and getting that way with my ankles so life is not as comfortable as I would like but what I like has nothing to do with things :wink: Steroid injections never worked for me apart from one in my ankle. That gave relief for three months then all was back to normal so I decided enough was enough on that front. For pain relief I take 30/500 cocodamol which dulls things sufficiently for me to get on with stuff. My meds for the PsA deal with my inflammation but on the odd occasion when they don't I take diclofenac (which I am eking out as my GP will no longer prescribe them).

The constant grind of pain and tiredness we face is something we understand, moreso than friends or family. What is your concern about taking the celecoxib? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Hello and welcome from me too. You certainly have a lot going on there and I'm not surprised you're looking for some new way of controlling things.

I have RA and have had it for many years. I can't use any NSAIDS now as they messed up my stomach long before it was realised that stomachs needed protection from them. And just before the Cox2 inhibitors came out so worrying about the side effects of the latter never came into it for me.

One thing I have learned over the years though is that there is no such thing as a perfect drug. All have potential side effects and not all work for everyone. You have the advantage of being aware of the potential damage of celecoxib which, to my way of thinking, is an excellent 'shield' against such damage in that you will be aware and cautious about any unexplained symptoms. We have to balance these unwanted side effects against the damage done to our bodies by not moving about much and not getting any exercise.

With such widespread OA plus gout have you ever seen a rheumatologist just to ensure you don't actually have an inflammatory form of arthritis?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright