Declaring arthritis

TheLordFlasheart
TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
edited 4. Sep 2017, 04:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
Yesterday at work we were informed that the mortgage centre will be closed by end of the year, which came as a massive shock. We have been expecting it, but not this sudden.

I've decided to look elsewhere for a job, but still have the option to remain in the bank.

So my question is, when is the best time to let a future employer know I have OA? Do I say in my application, or at the interview, or after I get the job? Also is it worth mentioning that i'm going to be having knee surgery in the near future?

It's a lot to think about, so any help would be appriciated in alleviating my worries.

Alastair
"Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I'm all for upfront honesty. Tell any future employer about it but not in terms of 'Oh woe is me, it's agony and my life is hell', more in terms of 'I have this ongoing health issue, which can occasionally affect my working life, but I am developing strategies to help me manage.'

I was never in this kind of situation because I was self-employed so had a very lovely and understanding boss :wink: but I can understand the worry it must cause for those who are still in full-time work. Good luck with finding a new job, the world of finance is perhaps not that easy at the moment? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I have been in a similar position and pointed out at the interview that I needed another op, soon and the recovery time and get back to work time was an unknown but if they wanted me I was enthusiastic, I got the job but arther caught up with me eventually, oh well.

All the time you're getting paid it helps to shape your mind. You'll soon know when enough is enough.
  • littlemimmy
    littlemimmy Member Posts: 111
    Hi Alastair,

I never know what to do in this situation. I've only told one of my three line managers anyway (and I think she has forgotten), but I don't actually see them often anyway (I'm a community-based teacher), and it's currently not affecting my work much anyway.

I'm in the process of applying for a few jobs, and can't decide at what point to disclose. The job after at the moment requires a medical anyway, so it'll definitely come up!
  • TheLordFlasheart
    Thanks for the replies, still unsure as to when to declare, but I now know what to say if it ever comes up.

Hopefull i'll find a new job soon, as I want to remain in work to keep my mind sharp and distract from my arthritis.

Alastair
  • littlemimmy
    I have an interview in a couple of weeks. I've already decided not to mention arthritis at all. Mine is being very well controlled at the moment, so I feel that this is the best course of action.
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Previously I didn't tell and went through many years of hell trying to keep up with my colleagues, eventually I was medically retired. Not working has its benefits, no comuting for a start, you don't lose your mind but find many more interests, well you would if there was enough time and of course you slow the effects of work on your condition. Madam will get her pension next year but doesn't want to stop work because I'll get under her feet, what cheek!
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Alastair,
    I wasn't working when my Arthritis started so that didn't apply.
    What might be a bit of help is I had/have epilepsy when I was working. Similar sort of thing. It was well controlled and still is.

When I applied for a job if I had to fill a form in....I didn't lie about it but didn't admit to it. I waffled :lol:
    Always at the interview when I was speaking to the person face to face I would tell them. I thought that was only fair
    Somehow when you put it on a form I think you are less likely to get an interview.
    Its a bit like as you get older if you have to put your age down [from 50 onwards] I found you were less likely to hear from them.

Love
    Hileena
  • TheLordFlasheart
    Thanks again for all the advice, I got an interview on Tuesday and i'll have to fill out a medical form, so I may as well be honest and declare my arthritis.

Hopefully they are an understading company, and can work with my arthritis.

Alastair
  • littlemimmy
    Good luck for your interview! Hope it goes well!
  • pot80
    pot80 Member Posts: 109
    When I first read of your situation my thinking was "honesty is the best policy" and shortly afterwards I read an article that said the same thing. You only need to give them a statement of fact without any elaboration until they ask for it. Best wishes and I hope it goes well.