Extreme fatigue - OA of spine.

Options
Lionlover
Lionlover Member Posts: 9
edited 6. Sep 2017, 04:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone Lionlover here.
I just wondered if anyone else experiences extreme fatigue on a very frequent basis?
I know I try and keep as busy as possible and I frequently look after my 3 grandchildren . Sometimes 1 at a time sometimes all 3.
I have OA of spine and get pain in hips back legs and neck.
The pain is aggravated by activity walking sitting upright bending and only recedes if I lie on my back.
I do push myself and refuse to be beaten by this thing as I want to spend as much time with my family and I want to be as helpful as I can to them.
I am 60 in November btw.
I take Cocodamol 8/500 when necessary but put up with some pain otherwise I would be taking them constantly.
I have to climb 4 flights of stairs which can hurt a bit to get to my flat but I've lived here for 23yrs and don't want to move yet.
I don't sleep as many hours as I used to due to pain or other reasons.

Comments

• JenniferB27
    JenniferB27 Member Posts: 74
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello! Sorry to hear you are suffering like that. I am 45 and have OA in my knees, thumbs and neck and I'm sure I have something going on in my spine as I have lower back pain and often get bouts of sciatica. The fatigue for me is the worst thing to deal with. I can't believe how exhausted I am. I have a stressful physical job but I am off sick at the moment as I just can't function. I feel like this most days with only the odd fees days a month I feel like I could climb a mountain! I am.waiting an appointment with rheumatology to see if anything else is going on. It's tough cause we need to stay active but sometimes all.i want to do is sleep. I am in the process of reducing my hours dramatically as a result and hope that will help. There is lots on the internet about fatigue and how to deal with it so going to do some proper research. I too have reduced my meds I was on naproxen and codeine but found I could not function very well so I too take cocodamol when required and amitriptyline to help me sleep!
  • Lionlover
    Lionlover Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Hello! Sorry to hear you are suffering like that. I am 45 and have OA in my knees, thumbs and neck and I'm sure I have something going on in my spine as I have lower back pain and often get bouts of sciatica. The fatigue for me is the worst thing to deal with. I can't believe how exhausted I am. I have a stressful physical job but I am off sick at the moment as I just can't function. I feel like this most days with only the odd fees days a month I feel like I could climb a mountain! I am.waiting an appointment with rheumatology to see if anything else is going on. It's tough cause we need to stay active but sometimes all.i want to do is sleep. I am in the process of reducing my hours dramatically as a result and hope that will help. There is lots on the internet about fatigue and how to deal with it so going to do some proper research. I too have reduced my meds I was on naproxen and codeine but found I could not function very well so I too take cocodamol when required and amitriptyline to help me sleep!

Hi thanks for replying to my post ( lionlover - extreme fatigue ) sorry to hear you are suffering too.
    I do have to make sure I rest after activities where possible, meaning lying flat on my back sometimes for 2 days or more until pain recedes. Obviously my house work goes to pot and builds up but I am also resting due to exhaustion so can't do much about that till I'm feeling better.
    I think that it is not just the pain that has to be managed but exhaustion too. Activities also have to be managed in cop able amounts which is not always easy especially if family needs are to be taken into consideration.
    I shall soldier on!
    Best wishes lionlover xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    It's not easy is it?

When I am feeling fatigued I do lie down and go to sleep, but set an alarm so don't stay there all day!

As for housework.....yes it has to be done, but pacing ourselves is crucial and not everything needs doing every day.

Have you ever had any injections into your spine? I only ask as a friend has them on a rolling programme every 3/4 months and swears by them.

Also co-cos are available at a higher doses...although the trade-off could be more fatigue :? . They make me drowsy so I am now on pain patches instead. Much better that way as the pain is pretty well kept under control constantly - no wooziness when I take a painkiller nor pain when one is due.

Best of luck

Toni x