can this really be arthritis?

Poppy354
Poppy354 Member Posts: 7
edited 10. Sep 2017, 11:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello again everyone, have spent some time having a look around and feel a bit better about asking some questions......you all seem lovely :)
I have had non specific joint pain (untreated) most of my life, then about 15 yrs ago a rheumatologist discovered I had scoliosis, I was referred with a painful hip. He injected my hip, it was a bursitis and the pain relief was wonderful. it wore of eventually of course and have since had another bursitis injected with less pain relief. I chose not to go down the road of medication at that time. I have a fair amount of manageable pain in back,legs, neck etc. as you can imagine from the unbalanced body and unusual pressure on various joints, nothing I could not live with.
I then began having problems with my hands, trigger finger several times....injections then operation on thumb THEN began losing feeling in fingers etc. this was diagnosed as carpal tunnel. I was told I HAD to have the operations if I wanted to continue to work so I did. the ops were fine and recovery great no further problems with hands....wonderful. -sorry this is taking so long, I just need answers- About 10 weeks ago I had a fall, landed on right arm and wrist, really badly bruised but ok I did not feel it needed looked at.
just 4 weeks ago I began to get excruciating pain in right wrist, movement seems ok but swollen. The pain is not there when no movement but certain movements actually bring me to my knees and make me yelp out loud. The GP sent me to x-ray and urgent referral to a rheumatologist who I have to say had no interest what so ever, said at my age it would be osteoarthritis, I had plenty movement in my hips?? gave me a leaflet and a wrist support and sent me home. The pain is actually getting worse and I have been back to GP (a different one of course) she was about 12!! who metaphorically patted me on the head and more or less said "get used to it"
I am ready to accept arthritis at my age (67) and I have twinges in some of my joints which probably is arthritis but I just cant see how this excruciating isolated pain can be arthritis which has come out of nowhere at 100 miles per hour when every other joint is only marginally worse than it always has been.
I'm SO sorry for this long long story but I need to ask, can this be correct can this one isolated joint be arthritis?
I promise I won't bother you again.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Unfortunately we are only patients and have no medical training so diagnoses are not our strongpoint :roll:

What is a fact is that OA can set in at the site of a former trauma. Usually, however, we are talking years not weeks. Another fact is that arthritis hurts and can hurt a lot. It can also choose for itself when and where it will crop up.

From what you write it seems that the first rheumatologist you saw didn't think you had an auto-immune type of arthritis – RA, PsA, AS etc. Rheumatologists only deal with these forms. OA is in the hands of the GPs.

You found the second rheumatologist somewhat dismissive. Had (s)he done any blood tests? (S)he presumably had your x-ray results. These tend to be their diagnostic tools though I'd have expected a look at your wrist. (Is there any heat coming off it?) Morning stiffness and fatigue is another indication of an auto-immune type of arthritis.

I, too, have noticed the sudden increase in child GPs :lol: It can be a bit disconcerting but, actually, the younger ones often have fresher, more up-to-date knowledge than the older ones so I never mind seeing one.

If I've understood you correctly your main problem is trying to reconcile this new, sharp, deep pain with the milder types you've had previously. I can understand your concern and I'm sure I'd share it if it were me but, as it isn't, I can be a bit more dispassionate :wink: The wrist is complicated. It contains an interesting collection of bones, joints, tendons and ligaments none of which like being disturbed too much. You might simply have jarred them and they've only really started protesting because you were trying to carry on as normal when they wanted a bit of tlc. Who knows? The splint should help and you will learn to avoid the 'wrong' movements eg when lifting a kettle support your dominant wrist by taking much of the weight with the other hand. It's all painful trial and error I'm afraid.

Exercises might help https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis/exercise-and-arthritis .

Unfortunately, I have to go back to where I came in. We can't diagnose. Does this sound like arthritis? Oh yes! To me, it's your former pain(s) which didn't necessitate any medication that sound less like arthritis though you do sound to have a high tolerance of pain.

All I can say is do the exercises, wear the splint (though not too much as your muscles will atrophy if you do) and, if you continue to be anxious about it, don't be afraid to go back to your GP – either child or adult :wink: Occasionally, things can be missed on x-rays. The wrist is complex and an outside possibility could be that you have a very tiny hairline fracture somewhere not easy to spot. Unfortunately, though it's probably just OA.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Poppy354
    Thank you so much for your kind words and advice. I had realised this was not an appropriate post and asked for it to be removed. I had no right asking the things I did and I am very sorry and extend my apology to all the members.
    Regards to all.
    Poppy

Hi Poppy
    thank you for your apology, although it really isn't necessary, never feel that you need to apologise. Your post was totally appropriate. Please do not worry we all experience times of frustration and the forum is here to support you. As said before we are not medical professionals but very supportive, there are a lot of members who have probably gone or going through what you have been and can offer words of support. Please continue to post and receive the support you need.

Love D X
  • stickywicket
    Oh Poppy, no :o This is a very appropriate post. Everyone is searching for answers and we try to help as best we can from our own experiences but it would be dangerous for you to accept our word for it being arthritis or not arthritis.

There is absolutely no need to apologise. I just wish we could help more. Please don't be put off. Stay with us because we all understand the pain and the frustrations of life with arthritis and we are good at supporting each other - just not at diagnosing :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    I'm with Sticky. Being able to let off steam, voice our doubts, express our confusion, is just the sort of thing the forum can help with. We can't diagnose, as Sticky says, but by sharing experiences you might find some answers from other members as to what is bothering you, or some ideas as to ways forward.
    As I think you have realised you are up against the 'old age filter' with the doctors, where the expectation is that you just have to expect/live with what are perceived to be the conditions of old age such as OA. Accepting that you may not be able to do things in the same way or as pain-free as 20 years ago is one thing, but pain or difficulty that disrupts your life shouldn't be dismissed just because of age. If, despite giving it time, and doing what you can for yourself(finding out whether heat helps etc) it is still troubling you then I see no reason why you shouldn't go back to the doctor.
  • Poppy354
    Thank you all so much for your kind replies and your support. Oh and stickywicket your reply was just what I needed to hear, thank you. From all of your replies I have realised that I've found the people I need for support. Im realising that because this isn't a visible thing..at least not yet..family and friends kind of roll their eyes :roll: I have a friend who has RA and its awful, my heart goes out to everyone who has this and all of the other types, I'm only just learning how many types there are, and how debilitating they are.
    So I hope I have offended no one and should I put my foot in my mouth ( I seem to be getting better at that the older I get) please feel free to tell so.
    Poppy
  • stickywicket
    Learning how to 'deal' with family and friends is a tricky, never-ending journey. We don't want to moan incessantly but it's pointless pretending we can do things when we can't. Or do things as much as we used to. or do things for as long as they can.

I think confidence about saying no gently but firmly comes with practice. Of course, the friends and family will forget asap :roll: so we get plenty of practice. After 56 years of RA and 49 of marriage I still have to remind my husband that sometimes I'm just too tired / stiff / achey to do things :lol:
    Steven Wright