STILL WAITING FOR MY APPOINTMENT WITH THE SPINAL SURGEON

hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 19. Sep 2017, 16:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone

Well I'm still waiting for this appointment with the spinal surgeon.
Its getting silly now. I'm really sore now. How can you have a shoulder replacement and suffer with mobility problems :lol:
My shoulder isn't bad, just a bit stiff which I expect but my legs????
I cant walk......well about 5 or 6 steps and that's it.

I had an MRI on my spine. I've been told that its pain from my back referred to my spine, or it could be pain from my spine referred to my back???????
I have been referred by the GP to the spinal surgeon. I haven't heard a single word from them yet.
I'm getting sorer as the days go on.
So I cant walk [5 or 6 steps] I cant drive.....so I'm housebound except when Peter takes me somewhere.

Sorry about the moan but I'm just so fed up with this.
I had the shoulder replacement 25th April and this is now September. :cry::cry:

Love

Hileena

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Hileena. Sorry you're in so much pain. Unfortunately referrals seem to take forever these days and, in August in particular, virtually nothing happens due to holidays. I, too, have been waiting for an appointment since May, fortunately not for anything urgent - well, it wasn't urgent in May, anyway :wink:

As spines and backs occupy more or less the same territory I don't think I can shed any light on your problem. I do hope you get an appointment soon though.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    Hi Sticky
    Thanks for your reply.........The referral was done at the beginning of August. I got through to his secretary today. I was told "you are in the system" I thought that's a start but she continued and said at a guess it will be either February or March before you get an appointment. Considering it was Mr Assad [surgeon who has done my replacements] who asked that I be referred because he thought that it was the falls I was having that was causing the problems. He thought the spinal surgeon would be able to cope better with that than he could I would have thought that it would have been a quicker appointment :? :?

Love
    Hileena
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    That's really frustrating Hileena, I can only begin to guess how unsettling it is to be in pain constantly. I wonder whether a phone call with PALs at the hospital would be worth a try? They're there to fight your corner and can sometimes make stuff happen. Are there any local patient advocate services I wonder, or perhaps your local MP might ask questions on your behalf about the length of the waiting list?

Sending hugs ((((( ))))).

Deb xx
  • hileena111
    Hi Deb

Thanks, that's an idea. I know about PALS and do mention them to other people but when it comes to myself......Don't even think about them......Is that " do as I say not as I do " do you think?

:lol::lol::lol:

Hileena
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I have used PALS before and found them really helpful. Good luck.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • hileena111
    Hi Slosh
    I've got a GP appointment at 8.30am this morning then a dentist apt at 9.10am Hope the GP is on time. :shock:

I'll ask the GP to see if she can do anything about the MRI Appointment [rush them a bit] You never know. she might be able to pull a few strings she was the one that referred me.
    I'm going to see her about something else. I can always hope :lol:

Hileena
  • stickywicket
    How did you get on last Friday, Hileena? Any joy from the doc?
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    Hi Sticky
    No luck from the GP. She seemed very unsurprised [if that's a word :lol: ] Apparently that's normal for the moment :o

I saw her again today because I was taking oramorph for breakthrough pain. I had been taking it about once a day....no more. This started a long time ago then I had a knee replacement and an operation on my shoulder then eventually a total shoulder replacement. During all this time it gradually went up so she wants to make sure I decrease it again. It had gone up to 4 times a day. I started decreasing it 3 days ago. I'm now taking it 3 times a day but not regularly, just when I need it. I thought that wasn't bad. In a period off 3 days going down from 4 doses to 3 doses but she is not happy at all thinks I should be almost off them.......IN THREE DAYS!!!!!!!!!

Oh well she can think again. I'll do my best and no more :)

Love
    Hileena
  • Slosh
    In view of the Oramorph I have a feeling that a message has gone out to GPs in terms of patients taking opiod medicines long term.
    I am on oxycodone and when I last saw my GP to get my repeat prescription renewed he talked to me about trying to reduce from 4 a day to 3. He mentioned the fact that addiction to medications such as these is becoming more common.
    However what your GP is proposing is much more drastic.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    I'm sorry your GP can't help, Hileena, but I fear she is right. Our generation has had the best of the NHS and it's rapidly going downhill due to increased demand and expectations, longer life spans, more expensive drugs and probably a fair bit of mismanagement.

As for opioids, I think Slosh is probably right though I think the problem, in those in chronic pain, is less one of addiction and more one of tolerance ie the body adjusts to the dosage so gradually more and more is needed to achieve the same result. I know one person who was on massive doses of opioids which would have killed anyone not already used to them but was getting no benefit at all from them.

It's a big problem for both us and the docs.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    Hi
    Thanks Slosh and Sticky
    I think Sticky you are right rather than addiction it is more tolerance than anything else ........For people with chronic pain anyway.
    Regardless of whether it is addiction or tolerance I think you are right Slosh.......they have probably got a message sent to them from higher up LOL
    I have managed to bring it down from 4 doses to 3 doses a day and although she isn't happy about that ...Tough!!!!! I'll do my best without being in agony

Love
    Hileena
  • Slosh
    I tried to bring mine down to three a day, and as long as I take things VERY easy, and spend at least an hour lying down over the day I can cope. But it really limits me even more in what I can do.
    As I finally have my long awaited pain clinic appointment next week I've decided to wait and see what they say and follow their advice.
    Julian of Norwich
  • hileena111
    Hi Slosh
    That would limit us a lot. :? I know it would me.
    Let me know what happens at the pain clinic and what they say

Love
    Hileena
  • Slosh
    I will do, there will be a request going in for pocket duties soon.
    I do hope you get your appointment soon, have you contacted PALS yet?
    Julian of Norwich
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Gosh Hileena!!

not a happy post this one I am sorry I have missed what's been happening :oops:

It's so unfair having to wait when we are in pain and such a shock to be told to reduce painkillers when you are already in pain and barely getting by.

Hang on in there you and Slosh are doing well to reduce as you have done. Quality of life though seems to be the price you are both paying :(

Love and ((()))

Toni xxx
  • Slosh
    Thanks, my motivation does vary. This coming week is busy (for me) so I have no intention of trying to cope on 3 a day.
    Julian of Norwich
  • hileena111
    Hi Slosh
    I've been busy recently especially today so today I thought No way am I taking 3 lots today so I have taken 3 lots up to now and tonight before going to bed I will have another lot.

Yes Toni......It is a ridiculous length of time to have to wait for an appointment isn't it.?
    I might try to get on to PALS...just something I've never done before so don't know how it will turn out

Love
    Hileena
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    When I was referred 1st Sept last year for my second knee replacement process to start I was told then that the local wait was 18 weeks for treatment.

By the time I saw the consultant, and had the surgery we were already just outside of the timescale and it would have been even longer had I not agreed for the NHS to send me to a private hospital to have the surgery. If I'd opted to wait for the NHS hospital it would have been March - so I'd have waited 6 months for my op.

Sadly, it seems to be what's going on in the NHS at the moment. Could you afford to see someone privately? It may cut the wait down substantially.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Other people have used PALs like you I never have Hileena....

I did a search and read this thread the post by outdoormaz...

https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=48001&p=630307&hilit=PALs#p630307

Sounds as though it helped.

A recent post by Nearlybionic at least got her a decent explanation.

At the moment you are in limbo with no-one helping you??

Love and ((()))

Toni xxx
  • hileena111
    Hi Toni

I haven't checked that link yet but I will. I'm getting sorer and sorer
    I have tried everything. Its my hips [got 2 replaced ones} and around the top of my leg. Finding it very difficult to walk

I cant really take any more meds. I've tried all sorts of creams/gels
    Hot / cold ones nothing seems to touch. Because of where the pain is.....top of my leg and sometimes down the front??? Patches wont work. They wont stay put. So meds, patches, and various creams don't seem to work. Anyone with any ideas let me know please

Love
    Hileena