Painful Feet

palo
palo Member Posts: 240
edited 18. Sep 2017, 05:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I am wondering if I may have arthritis in my feet.

I have joint pain in various parts of my body, and they have only x-rayed my hands as they have been the worst, and that confirmed arthritis. The rheumatologist was uninterested as it was only nodal oesto-arthritis so dismissed me. The ortho guy I saw last week said it was only minor and he is a surgeon and my hands would need to be in a far worse state before he would be interested and also dismissed me. He wasn't interested in the pains in my feet, knee, elbow or back or the fact that I had had 2 recent bouts of sciatica (not x-rayed the back either despite 25ish years of intermittent severe back pain) He felt it was connected to the MG and any weakness was due to related muscle weakness.

I saw my neuro today and he was happy for me to continue to reduce my steriods and with luck come off them... but felt that the joint pains were likely to be arthritis and my GP should help me manage it...

Anyway back to my feet. I have not been able to walk properly this year, my feet just seem to have no flexibility and movement if you know what I mean. I can't really explain it, but they don't move as they used to. I get shooting pain in the balls of my feet which is very severe but just lasts seconds and then passes. I also get pain back across the back of my heel. Does this sound like arthritis? or am I just confused and losing the plot....

By the way I can't stand for too long as my left knee locks and goes weak, and my back also gets painful and weak and I have to sit down...I don't think I am managing very well at the moment and feel that my whole body is just falling apart.

Anyone got any advice, or guidance they can impart to me?

Thank you

Comments

• TrishaW
    TrishaW Member Posts: 109
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Palo,
    It may be useful for your GP to refer you to a podiatrist to advise you about shoes/insoles/exercises for your feet.
    My feet are one of my worst affected parts but are helped by insoles etc. However, it may not necessarily be arthritis causing the problems.
    You may have another foot condition such as plantar fascitis, in which case it could be sorted by exercises and insoles .
    Achilles tendonitis can also occur with some types of arthritis (such as psoriasis arthritis) and hurts at the bottom of the achilles tendon. Again, you'd need gel heel pads and exercises to help.
    I think you should see your GP as it may be you can sort this out
    Good luck
    Trisha
  • palo
    thank you Trisha, will try and book an appt this month.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I agree with Trisha. My feet are a total mess (I've been in surgical shoes since my 20s) so I've no longer any idea of what's normal, what's arthritis or what might be something else though the back-of-heel pain does sound as if it might be your Achilles. This can be connected to arthritis insofar as we walk wrongly because of pain and so stretch the Achilles tendon. Exercises might help but, as Trisha says, an orthotist might help more. I hope you can get some relief.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • palo
    Thanks SW.

My feet have been the bane of my life, too short and wide for normal shoes and have just never been comfortable or happy ever...

I got a wax bath last week and it has done wonders for my hands so tried it on my feet on Saturday and it did seem to make them feel a bit easier, so am going to have another go today, have also looked up exercises for my feet and trying those, again seems to be helping.

I am trying to help myself as much as possible at the moment, need to gird my loins and prepare myself before going for another GP appointment....
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    I'd endorse the value of an orthotics appointment if you can get a referral. I have huge issues with my feet and ankles thanks to RA and resulting OA, the orthotist has made several sets of orthotics and an ankle brace which have really helped-I can now walk the dog for 40 minutes or so without the appalling ankle and foot pain keeping me awake all night!

Deb
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    You are certainly trying everything, palo. I think the wax treatment may well help and soothe but, alas, all too briefly for the amount of time and effort we invest in such things. I hope the exercises will do more and I think you're right to arm yourself with all these 'things tried' before heading for the doc though I'd have thought an orthotic appointment would be definitely recommended in your case.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Palo your feet do sound to be very sore :(

I agree with all the advice you have already been given, (seeing the GP) and you trying everything you can before you do see your GP.

Saves time and helps with their diagnosis and treatment suggestions.

Take care

Toni xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Palo
    My feet are only just joining in, I have bought some orthotic shoe soles, but like the others have said ask to be referred..at the min I use Epson salts in warm water it does help..
    Love
    Barbara
  • palo
    Thankyou everyone, am trying to bring myself to call the GP but it is generally such a dispiriting experience I try not to do it. Having just spent 5 minutes trying to get a repeat prescription for my father I think I will wait another day before phoning again.