Technology!

Options
GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 22. Sep 2017, 08:39 in Community Chit-chat archive
Well, it was time to upgrade my mobile. So I did my research and decided which phone to go for. I went to the shop of my choice (who I'd used before) and had a good chat with the staff on Sunday. Wednesday afternoon I went back and started the upgrade process. My new phone had to be ordered so I collected it today. As part of the process I used the technical support (which I paid for) to back up my phone. This very clever gentleman remotely connected to my laptop, having patiently talked me through connecting the phone to the laptop and getting to the right website, and he copied everything from my phone to my laptop.

When I went into the shop today the sales advisor asked had I spoken to the technical support as he'd suggested yesterday? I confirmed that I'd done so, and everything was on my laptop as well as on the phone. What did they do? I was asked! :?: He must have seen from my rolling eyes and blank look that I didn't have the foggiest. :roll: Which I didn't. That's why I paid for the technical support!

In the shop my contacts, emails, photos, etc., were all moved across by the clever sales advisor and I came home clutching my new phone. Then I had to get my appointments back into the calendar, as they didn't copy across but I knew they wouldn't so I'd written them on a piece of paper with a pen. (Yes, a pen & paper!).

Smartphones these days don't come with manuals. It would make life so much easier if you just had an idiots guide included but, instead, you are told to read the online guidance - but you have to find the flaming thing first!

I've managed to get most of it sorted although some of it still baffles me but I'll not worry too much. The chap in the shop uttered those reassuring words "if you get stuck or not sure about anything pop back and we'll give you a hand". He'll regret that I'm sure ...

GraceB

(Oh I cheated re getting the phone tied into the Bluetooth on my car. I went from the phone shop to my car dealer - and let him do it! :lol: ).
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have a Sam***g phone. Transferring things across was easy as all I had to do was plug a tiny gadget I got with my new phone in to it. Follow some very clear instructions and it was all done automatically, dates, photos, apps as well as numbers.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I use a N***a phone. Been with that brand for years. I knew the dates wouldn't go across and was ok with that.

You are obviously more technically minded than I am Slosh. I'm impressed!

I'm getting used to the phone little by little. It'll take a few days.

I've got a cover coming in the post from a well known site which supplies a wide range of items. The phone I've got is such a new model none of the phone accessory shops have the covers in. Well one did, but only in black - and I want purple!

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!