Diet???

Options
Lady3106
Lady3106 Member Posts: 17
edited 26. Sep 2017, 09:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have downloaded the Healthy Eating booklet on this site. It does seem to me that a lot of what it says is the traditional government guidelines on healthy eating. I eat lowish carb and that doesn't really fit in with the above guidelines. Have slowly reduced my weight with lowish carb. I really don't want to be eating the wrong foods but find it hard to get my head around increasing fruit, grains etc when I think these things have stimulated my appetite in the past. I know if I do a google search it will come up with all sorts of wonderful suggestions on what to avoid to help joint pain!! Particularly to avoid gluten, is there anything in that recommendation? Any experience of this?
I feel you folks are not trying to promote anything and are in a much better position to advise.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello

Diets and arthritis are a very personal thing - what works for one person does not work for another. Below is a link to the Arthritis ResearchUK's web page on eating and arthritis. There is a lot on this but you will be able to pick and choose what you read.

http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/system/search-results.aspx?keywords=Diets+and+arthritis

I hope this helps to answer some of your questions and give you an insight into food and arthritis.

Best wishes
    Chris
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,410
    Options
    Lady

I do similar to you and keep my weight down as extra weight would probably hurt my joints more.

If any particular food seems to aggravate your arthritis, some cite tomatoes for example, you could try avoiding it and see what happens.

Personally I haven't found any connections so just eat healthy.

Hopefully some others will be along soon to give you their opinion.

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I learned through cause-and-effect that tomatoes, pickles and vinegar aggravate my OA so if I choose to eat them I know what will ensue. My joints are damaged, what I was eating or not eating before didn't cause that damage and nothing will undo it but eating well will help to support the health of the rest of me. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Lady3106
    Options
    Thank you Toni. I was rather thinking along those lines. I track my food anyway so will also start making notes to see if there is any correlation. Maybe just wishful thinking but I feel the need to start with something I actually can control. We've all got to eat and even if it doesn't alleviate or prevent it's got to be worth a try.
    Just previewed this and your reply appeared Dreamdaisy. Very sensible approach it may not undo but hopefully it will give our bodies a fighting chance.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Lady3106 wrote:
    I know if I do a google search it will come up with all sorts of wonderful suggestions on what to avoid to help joint pain!! Particularly to avoid gluten, is there anything in that recommendation? Any experience of this?

Here's what I know about gluten. It's more than I used to as my son has to avoid it. (Long story, mostly irrelevant to you.) Lots of people claim to have a gluten intolerance. They may and it might be to do with how wheat is processed nowadays. A gluten allergy is different. Those with coeliac disease have a gluten allergy and, if they eat it, will become ill. Coeliac is an autoimmune disease like many forms of arthritis (not OA) and, when it's bad, patients can develop symptoms quite similar to arthritis ie joint pains and stiff joints. Personally, I think that's why gluten and arthritis are sometimes linked but I have no medical training at all.

I've never heard of fruit and carbs increasing appetite. They certainly don't with me. I basically eat a Med type diet but don't have a big appetite. If your diet is working for you then why not stick with it. The only thing to beware of is not cutting out entire food groups as that way we can become deficient in some essential nutrients.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Lady3106
    edited 26. Sep 2017, 13:06
    Options
    Thank you Stickywicket, what you say makes sense. We are all different and without a doubt carbs particularly on their own stimulate my appetite. So I would have a piece of fruit now after a meal but not on it's own as a snack. Not planning any complete cutting out, rather am increasing the variety of fruit and veg. Did perhaps spend needlessly today by buying Seven Seas cod liver oil with Vitamin D. Can't do any harm, well maybe to my purse. Appreciate your thoughts.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Veggies are probably better than fruit as they lack the sugar content. Nothing wrong with chewing on a raw carrot, stick of celery or cucumber - whatever.

Fish oil can, I believe, help. Here is ARUK's comprehensive page on supplements http://tinyurl.com/ycrzgwv7 . (I see that they are combining with Arthritis Care soon - see the News Forum - and it should make for an excellent charity.)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright