Hi am new just been diagonised with osteoarthritis at 40

Options
Emmsie1234
Emmsie1234 Member Posts: 2
edited 3. Oct 2017, 12:47 in Say Hello Archive
Hi all my name is Emma am 40 from the UK. Have recently been diagonised with osteoarthritis in all my fingers cause of bone growths. It is in the family unfortunately and so is osteoporosis. Have been getting a lot of pain in my knees and back also so going to the physio tomorrow to check it all out. Hopefully they will give me x rays and scans to see what damage has been done before they give me exercises. What am concerned about is what will happen as I get older will it get Worse? Any information and advice on osteoarthritis and osteoporosis would be appreciated ty guys x

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Emma and welcome to the forums from the moderation team.

I am very sorry to hear about your diagnosis of osteoarthritis in your fingers as well as your family history of osteoporosis. It is very good news that you have already been referred to physiotherapy I am sure they will be very helpful.

We have a great community here, with lots of experience of arthritis who I know will make you very welcome and help in any way they can, but in the meantime I hope the following links will help you.

This information by Arthritis Research UK is about osteoarthritis and is very comprehensive:

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/conditions/osteoarthritis.aspx

Arthritis Care’s booklet on the same can be downloaded here:

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/223-living-with-osteoarthritis

This information concerns osteoporosis:

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/conditions/osteoporosis.aspx

I look forward to seeing you posting in future.

Best wishes

Ellen.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I have OA in both ankles, both knees and both hips as a result of the joint damage caused by my other arthritis (an auto-immune kind) and it's also cropping up in my shoulders and wrists. I began the auto-immune aged 37, the OA was diagnosed when I was 52 and I am now 58. I have always regularly done my physio-prescribed exercises and have recently started working with a personal trainer with the aim of preserving and developing my range of movement and physical stamina. It's not easy.

Any form of arthritis is progressive and degenerative but at what rate is as individual as us. There is a strain of thought developing that OA also has a genetic root and younger people are being diagnosed with it. I began with one joint, now it's considerably more but that is the nature of the beast. I find that the weather affects my OA (it does not like the cold or damp) and eating acidic foods temporarily worsens matters. I keep pain relief to a minimum so I always have an escape route for the truly tough times (as opposed to the normally tough :wink: ). Good luck with physio, please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben