Car Sweeties.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 4. Oct 2017, 06:04 in Community Chit-chat archive
I've not been a believer in car sweeties until this summer. The Spouse and me have done some very long drives and I realised they are useful for a sudden glucose burst when the driver flags - my late Ma used to feed him wine gums as he taxied her to us for Christmas etc.

I have a useful tray under the passenger seat for the manual but it now houses a bag of wine gums, a bag of boiled fruit sherbets and fruit pastilles, all from Spencer and Marks. All are good, very more-ish. My Pa used to have one of those golden tins of travel sweets you see in the chemist but after the first handful they would soferge (soften and merge) into a lump of sugary concrete. A friend of the family used his car to store toffee (lots of toffee) and others keep mints. Now we are home it may be time to remove said things as the ten minute drive to the supermarket is not as demanding as a two hour stint behind the wheel.

I know that barley sugar is meant to be an antidote to travel sickness but it never appealed to my taste buds. Is your car a mobile sweetshop? If so, what stocks do you hold? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I keep mints in my car, Murrey/butter/humbugs depending on what's on special offer at the time I need to restock. I mainly suck them when I go to visit my daughter (about an hour's drive) or on shorter drives if my throat's playing up.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I keep any type of jelly sweets in the passenger side..now OH has his licorice in his..I never liked Barley sugar ..and remember my late mum giving it me for travel sickness..I am sure that is what caused it.. :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    We don't do so many long journeys now that we live near our son. Like you, I used sweets to wake up my driver when he started to drift out of lane :roll: However, your Dad's 'soferge' factor (wonderful word :D ) featured highly so it ended up as Tic Tacs only. They seem (a) to do a job and (b) lack the 'soferge' (or 'merften' :wink: ) tendency.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    No sweeties :(

Buy them for long journeys only otherwise I would eat them :lol:

We get liquorice allsorts though when we can.

Barley sugar is nauseating I agree with Barbara yuk :?
  • dreamdaisy
    I never thought of a his 'n hers option, he does like wine gums whereas I can happily live without. The fruit sherbets are lovely because the sherbet runs all through the boiled bit with a little extra in the middle . . . . . . DD wanders off to Bea2 for a little fix . . . .
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Sherbert Lemons and Stripey Mint sweeties are the His and Hers car sweets in our household :D

Brynmor
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    I've always got mints in my car. Soft Mints and Extra Strong. Also sugar free chewing gum. (Don't eat polos any more - due to the risks to my teeth, likewise I no longer eat rock or hard toffees - having learnt the hard way in the past!). Sometimes it's Opal Fruits - yes, I know they're not technically called that any more but, to me, they'll always be Opal Fruits.

On long trips I also arm myself with bottles of water, plus biscuits and Kit Kats or Penguins as well as fruit. You never know when you're going to get stuck and therefore peckish. It's also cheaper if you take your own rather than buy in the very expensive service stations on the motorways! :lol:

Please don't let me get anywhere near to the sherbet lemons - my favourite! Yum, yum ... :lol:

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    My gc were vying to come out in the car with me, it took me a while to realise why and my car sweets have now been eaten, grandpa got told off for giving them sweets! You can't win.
  • stickywicket
    :lol: Yes, when our adopted 4 yr old grandson first arrived the car sweets soon disappeared.

Oooh Brynmor, are you a sherbert or stripey :wink::lol:
    Steven Wright
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Lemon sherberts for preference, but I will eat just about anything in the sweetie-line :lol:

Brynmor
  • stickywicket
    Ah, an omnivore :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    I need to restock the motor - I had to do a whole four miles without any assistance from sugar. Not good. Some fruity sherbets will be returned to the car and today I bought some butterscotch (proper ones, locally made) from the local garden centre. I also have a sudden craving for Murray mints - are they still about?

I have got into the dreadful habit of sucking a sweetie or two once the lights are out and I am reading my Kindle. Shocking. Lovely. The surreptitious unwrapping of a sweet under the duvet is probably the best bit . . . . . gotta get your fun where you find it. :wink: DD
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    gotta get your fun where you find it.
    And under the duvet's as good a place as any.......
  • stickywicket
    :lol: Ooh, daffy, you are naughty - but I like you :D
    Steven Wright