Changing the bed

Joanna
Joanna Member Posts: 8
edited 11. Oct 2017, 03:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm all excited :bee: I haven't tried this myself yet but know it will help.

Changing duvet covers is so hard, I absolutely dread having to do mine yet love climbing into a fresh bed.

I hope this helps many of us.

Joanna

https://youtu.be/c1IzS2oBBN0

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    That looks fabulous!! I might have to try it Joanna. Wonder how good it is for super-king size :wink:

Thanks

Toni xx
  • Natalie1712
    Natalie1712 Member Posts: 63
    Amazing!!! X
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    So cool
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Has anyone had a go yet?

I haven't largely due to the worry it might not work and my bed-making will take even longer than it already does :roll:

Toni xx
  • palo
    palo Member Posts: 240
    Many years ago my father taught me to turn the duvet cover inside out, grab the ends, grab the ends of the duvet and just shake the cover down the duvet...simpless.. This is a variation on that, but Dad's is still better IMO...
  • littlemimmy
    littlemimmy Member Posts: 111
    I finally thought I'd have a go at this today, and I am halfway through the process and giving up! I have a king size duvet and it's just as hard as my normal way! The main problem is that the opening of my covers aren't wide enough - the cover is sewn up along 19" from the corner! This has always annoyed me anyway, as I don't see the point! Are they saving on poppers/buttons?! Once I had a duvet cover that opened all the way to the corner but it seems like soon we'll be shoving our duvets through 6" gaps in the middle of the cover!

Sorry, better stop ranting and unroll my duvet, turn the cover back the right way out and then make the bed with my normal, exhausting method!
  • jennand
    jennand Member Posts: 131
    I’ve been doing this for a while, it’s sometimes called the burrito method. I understand your point littlemimmy, I just unpick the stitching a little if the opening isn’t wide enough. I have a summer duvet which is fairly easy as it’s thin & a winter, thick one which is a little trickier. Still easier than any other method though
  • littlemimmy
    littlemimmy Member Posts: 111
    My partner is handy with a needle and thread, so I might get some buttons and leave the covers on her sewing pile! Even with our thick and fluffy king size, I think it would be easy enough, if the opening was big enough.

jennand, does the burrito method keep the duvet ticked right into the top corners of the cover? I hate it when there's empty cover at the top! My duvet has to be firmly squished into the corners!
  • jennand
    jennand Member Posts: 131

jennand, does the burrito method keep the duvet ticked right into the top corners of the cover? I hate it when there's empty cover at the top! My duvet has to be firmly squished into the corners!
    I generally give the duvet & cover a good shake before fastening the poppers & putting on the bed.
    I’ve also got a king size duvet on a double bed as I like the extra size. Hubby tends to pull the duvet over to his side & with a double, I ended up with no cover. So, even with a king size duvet, this method is (fairly) easy to use. Having said that, hubby still can’t do it ( or so he claims🙄
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    As we have a superking duvet (we have two three foot singles pushed together) I stick to my tried-and-tested method as I do not have the necessary wingspan. I bought some duvet clips from a catalogue: once the first corner (top right hand) is in position I fix it with the clip, then again with the left. This means everything stays in place as the rest is shaken into position and I leave them on so the status quo is maintained.

I have finally ditched my beloved feather duvets for microfibre. I get horrendously hot and sweaty (even though it's only a 4.5 tog) as the blasted stuff doesn't breathe but the difference in weight makes my life a deal easier. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    As we have a superking duvet (we have two three foot singles pushed together)
    Ha, call that a superking? When my daughter had her B&B the two very big rooms(20'x30', fun to hoover - not) had twin beds that could be zipped to make a double. As the singles were 6'6" long and 3'6" wide you can imagine the size of the duvet! I'm 5'2" and slight so solo chambermaiding for those was an interesting experience. Daughter's partner used to find it hilarious and suggest sending in a search party when I disappeared inside the cover - as they were professionally laundered they not only had to be carefully checked for damage, marks etc but also peeled apart where the industrial ironing had stuck them together.
    I don't know whether it's the case for duvet sets sold in this country but IKEA bedlinen has the continental 'handholes' in the sides at the top of the duvet cover so the duvet can be grabbed and dragged from outside the cover, which makes final shakeout easy as well.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I have heard of beds that big, I think the size is called emperor. That bed linen sounds to be a good design, typically Scandinavian! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben