Reactive Arthritis - can you help?

Options
adriennepparry
adriennepparry Member Posts: 2
My husband has reactive arthritis as a result of BCG treatment for bladder cancer. His joints have been so painful. The GP has prescribed a range of different painkillers. They manage the pain to differing degrees. The strongest ones just simply wipe him out. Is there any treatment for the underlying condition and cause of the pain rather than just treating the pain? Any tips and suggestions would be very welcome. Thank you x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Good morning

Its good to have you here and posting for your husband . I’m sorry to hear that he is in so much pain and has tried a number of different painkillers and not yet found something that works.

Arthritis Research UK has a very good page explaining reactive arthritis and a lot of information about self help and daily living which you both might find useful:

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/conditions/reactive-arthritis.aspx

You can also call our helpline on 0808 800 4050 and talk about the condition and the challenges to you both.

I hope you find these useful. Let us know how you get on and please keep in touch

Sharon T
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,488
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi adriennepparrry and thank you for your post, I’m sorry to hear about your husband’s diagnosis of reactive arthritis and the pain he is experiencing in his joints.
    If your husband is finding that the painkillers ‘wipe him’ out, then it might be worth him going back to the GP to discuss some alternatives. He could also ask the GP if seeing a rheumatologist would be helpful for him.

Sharon has given you the link to the Arthritis Research UK booklet on Reactive Arthritis which I think you may find helpful. Here you will find information about different treatments for the condition as well as other relevant topics.
    It may be helpful for your husband to have some physiotherapy, a programme or exercises would be discussed as well as learning which activities to avoid.

Please let your husband know he would be very welcome to call our Freephone Helpline: 0808 800 4050 (weekdays 9.30-5) here we can talk informally and in confidence, you too would be welcome to call if you would like to talk things through.

I hope this is of some help.

Best wishes
    Lynda