Just diagnosed

SarLoWills
SarLoWills Member Posts: 14
edited 17. Oct 2017, 09:24 in Say Hello Archive
Hello! I’m 45 and have just been diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis, several months after I woke up feeling a little stiff and within the day unable to walk! Very scary!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello SarLoWills and welcome to the forums from the moderation team.

I am very sorry to hear about your diagnosis of Inflammatory Arthritis. It sounds to have come on very suddenly so I can understand how scary it must have been for you. I hope the following link might help you:

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/inflammatory-arthritis-pathway.aspx

It is very good news that you have already been referred to rheumatology for diagnosis and treatment. I see from your other post that you have been started on Hydroxychloroquine, so apologies for replying to your query about it as well as welcoming you here. Hydroxychloroquine is a commonly used first line Disease Modifying Anti-Rheumatic Drug, (known as DMARDS), and is usually well-tolerated by most people:

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/drugs/hydroxychloroquine/what-it-is.aspx

It is one of the medications I myself take and vividly remember initially really struggling with a churning stomach. I began to take it during meals and it settled down after a while. I think you are wise to take advice from the medical profession in your case though. Your GP or pharmacist may be able to help and might be easier to get hold of than the rheumatology team.

We have a great community here, who have lots of experience of arthritis who I know will make you very welcome and help in any way they can.

I look forward to seeing you posting in future.

Best wishes

Ellen.
  • SarLoWills
    Thank you for your reply and the links. Luckily, the original swelling and pain responded well to naproxen and steroids. Now I need to sort out whether Hydroxychloroquine is the right DMARD for me!!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I've replied to your other thread on LWA. I too have an auto-immune arthritis and have tried many meds, I currently take injected methotrexate and humira which is controlling things well. I am in my 21st year so have a fair bit of experience behind me.

I hope you find the forum to be of interest, we do understand how challenging and frustrating this arthritis stuff can be. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • SarLoWills
    Thank you Dreamdaisy, I have seen your reply to my other thread. Rightly or wrongly, Ive not taken the meds today and I feel so much better for it. Well, stomach wise anyway! I hope I can find something that helps the arthritis but doesn’t make me feel so bad.