DaveJ5
DaveJ5 Member Posts: 9
edited 2. Nov 2017, 09:10 in Say Hello Archive
Hi everyone I have just joined, I have had enteropathic arthritis since 2004 (I also have ulcerative colitis). The past few years I have developed osteo arthritis first in my knees and now my hands wrists and feet.

I am hoping to find out if the osteo arthritis is caused by the enteropathic arthritis my doctors think not but I have found references that say it can be destructive.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello DaveJ5 and welcome to the forums from the moderation team.

I am very sorry to hear you have Enteropathic Arthritis and Ulcerative Colitis. On top of this a diagnosis of Osteo Arthritis in your knees hands and feet.

You are looking for a link between your Inflammatory Bowel Disease and the onset of Osteo Arthritis if I understand you correctly. This article by the NHS briefly mentions the link, (it’s underneath the paragraph about Psoriatic Arthritis:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Arthritis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

I also attach a link to Arthritis Care’s information about Osteoarthritis which may be of interest:

https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/a-z-of-types/62-osteoarthritis

We have a great community here, who have lots of experience of arthritis, I know they will make you very welcome and help in any way they can.

I look forward to seeing you posting in future.

Best wishes

Ellen.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I have psoriatic arthritis (PsA) and the joint damage from that led to osteo. Osteo is the most common form of arthritis, affecting millions of people with or without any other health issues, so like every other thing connected to health I think it's just the bad luck of the draw. Some of my joints have one and not the other whereas others have both.

My rheumatologist treats the PsA and ignores the OA, my GP does the opposite. I'd like to ignore both conditions but find that difficult as they affect all areas of my life. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • DaveJ5
    DaveJ5 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for your messages. I have read about everything online about arthritis but information about specifically enteropathic arthritis is thin on the ground. Both my GP and Rheumatologist are treating the two types as being completely separate unfortunately I am at the age where osteo arthritis could be expected.
    My main concern is that the EA has not been treated, I took sulfasalazine but had to stop as it was causing serious gut pain. My rheumatologist then said the next step would be methotrexate but then said he would not give me it so my joints have been inflamed for most of the thirteen years I have had it I imagine that has not done the joints any good.
    As far as the OA goes my GP just said you need two knee replacements but you are two young to have them and I have not been offered any other help.

DaveJ
  • silverwolf
    silverwolf Member Posts: 4
    Hi and welcome. I am sure you will get every support. Arthritis is a horrid affliction but at least here you can talk to other members. I for one am grateful to arthritis research uk who told me about this site and forum. Best wishes, Caz x