Vitamin D

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 2. Nov 2017, 09:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've decided to restart my daily dose of Vitamin D with calcium - the days are growing shorter, the sunlight is not as strong and I am not spending as much time outdoors so to me it makes sense. I've noticed that my psoriasis is beginning to appear which could be due to the lack of sunshine, whether this will help that or not I don't know but it wont harm. I am also feeling increasingly 'dull' so it may help to boost my limited energy levels.

I've put the pot in with my daily meds box to serve as a reminder so there's no excuse for forgetting! DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi DD i also take vit D with calcium..its not helped with the energy levels yet but I live in hope.. :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Great minds think alike! I've realised it's time to restart the VitD(I don't add calcium), and I think it's also time to ask for another blood test to check levels. Despite spending time outdoors and having a sensible diet previous tests have suggested I don't do very well at maintaining adequate levels so I may need to up the dose initially.Be interesting to see if I have the 'no it's too expensive and it's not necessary' refusal, which is tiresome for something done at two year intervals for someone with severe lumbar osteoporosis who pays for her own supplements....
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    I take a vit D supplement daily as told to do by my GP although it's not on prescription.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    I take calcium with vitamin D prescribed initially by rheumy after blood tests revealed my vit D levels were low. The tablets are huge and I have to break them in half to swallow them :oops: .
    I gave up on them for a while because I dislike attempting to swallow them, then fell in the kitchen and fractured my collar bone- cue nagging from our son who's a doctor("well you know mum you might not have fractured a bone if you'd been taking your calcium and vit D)- so now I'm fairly diligent.
    I don't think they help with my energy levels, but hopefully they strengthen my bones.

Deb x
  • dreamdaisy
    I agree about the size of the tablets, I wonder if different brands come in different shapes etc? I buy a supermarket own-brand which are cheaper than chips and certainly last longer. I take the one with added calcium to help my bones, I wasn't taking oral steroids for that long (three years) but I know my density has improved since I stopped them so I want to keep that up.

Daffy, I think the more we help ourselves the less others may wish to do . . . . DD
  • TrishaW
    TrishaW Member Posts: 109
    Vit D is much better absorbed in the form of a spray....you squirt it into your mouth (inner cheek) . this means one less pill to swallow!

I use BetterYou from Holland and Barrett...currently in the penny sale so you get another one for 1p!
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    I have vit D on its own.
  • Joconc
    Joconc Member Posts: 8
    I've also just started taking vitamin D. I'm a bit new to having Arthritis (had for a couple years progressively getting worse and only just started taking medication) and was thinking what other natural things I could try. Am thinking of Tumeric & cracked black pepper pills and also Omega 3 fish oils. Anybody had any experience with these and success stories? Would taking a concoction of all 3 on top of medication be too much of an overload?
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    The best person to talk to is a pharmacist as they can advise you. Also read the information leaflets that come with your prescribed meds.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello Joconc, in my view if turmeric etc. were effective then the forum wouldn't exist. They might have a beneficial effect for those with the early stages of osteo but they do not alter the activity of the immune system which is the cause of auto-immune arthritis. I was warned back in my early days not to take any supplements of any kind (especially those that boost the immune system) without first checking with rheumatology. All the 'scientific' drugs have their roots in plant-based medication and the possibility of interactions is not to be under-estimated. My rheumatologist suggested vitamin D a few years ago and I always let them know when I restart. DD
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    I've re-started my Vitamin D/Calcium combined supplement now the clocks have gone back. I try to have a calcium-rich diet but now the winter is upon us, the lack of natural daylight does have an impact in my view.

I take a multi vitamin and cod liver oil supplement daily throughout the year; my GP and orthopaedic consultant are happy with this, as is my pharmacist as I'm always conscious that over the counter supplements can interact with prescribed meds.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!