Yet another newbie

MikeShipman
MikeShipman Member Posts: 2
edited 7. Nov 2017, 08:13 in Say Hello Archive
Hi, My name is Mike and I live in the New Forest in Hampshire.
My osteo arthritis started around 15 years ago in my knees anD has subsequently developed in my hips, back, shoulders and elbows. Added to this I have neuropathy in both feet courtesy of diabetes. I had to retire from work earlier this year due to the pain associated with the conditions.
I am now a house husband as my wife works f/t so life revolves around school runs , ironing, shopping, cooking etc, I also play a variety of stringed instruments and occasionally perform, thankfully the fingers still go where they are supposed to and are not unduly painful, unlike the rest of all of my joints.
I am hoping to find hints and tips for dealing with pain as it gets in the way of so much anD gets me down.
So, that’s me!
Regards, Mike.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Mike and welcome to the forums from the moderation team.

I am very sorry to hear about your diagnosis of osteoarthritis in multiple joints and that it has been partly responsible for you having to stop working. I am very pleased to hear the condition has not stopped you playing your music though.

After 15 years I am sure you know plenty about osteoarthritis, but just in case I attach Arthritis Research UK’s information on the subject:

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/conditions/osteoarthritis.aspx

Even if you know most of it, it could still be worth a read.

We have a great community here, who have lots of experience of arthritis, I know they will make you very welcome and help in any way they can so do ask away!

I look forward to seeing you posting in future.

Best wishes

Ellen.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I won the arthritis lottery because I have an auto-immune kind which has led to osteo: some joints have one, some the other and others both so life has its moments :wink: I managed to carry on working for seventeen years (being self-employed helped) but the emotional relief when I stopped of not having to push myself so hard was terrific, four years or so later it still is.

Having had auto-immune issues since birth I knew children were not on the agenda so my life is comparatively easy but it still has its challenges. I prefer the OA because it is much more honest and straightforward in how it presents whereas the other is cunning and sly. When it comes to chores I've made many changes the best of which was the cordless vacuums and I stop and rest on a frequent basis. Pain is constantly there but I distract myself or ignore it, keeping my pain relief to a minimum means I can feel the feedback and I have the stronger stuff there for when things worsen (which they often do). I hope you find the forum to be of interest. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben