Palindromic Rheumatism - new today!

Options
KayleighG
KayleighG Member Posts: 3
edited 8. Nov 2017, 07:38 in Say Hello Archive
Hi everyone!

I'm new here, today I was diagnosed with palendromic arthritis.

I'm 31 and have 2 lovely boys aged 7 & 5.

I'm struggling to find much info on the condition, particularly in young(ish!) people.

Anyone got any tips on living a busy life with a full time job and kids???

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello KayleighG and welcome to the forums from the moderation team.

I am very sorry to hear about your diagnosis of Palindromic Rheumatism only yesterday. There was a post quite recently from a young person who had the same condition. She is 24 so may not yet have children here is the link:

https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=48527

Within that thread are other links which you might find useful too. This is a link to Arthritis Research UK’s information on the condition:
    http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/system/search-results.aspx?keywords=Palindromic+Rheumatism

You have certainly come to the right place for support and tips. We have a great community here, who have lots of experience of arthritis, I know they will make you very welcome and help in any way they can so do ask away!

I look forward to seeing you posting in future.

Best wishes

Ellen.
  • KayleighG
    KayleighG Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for coming back to me! Although I'm not sure how I managed to get all those giant smiley faces on my first post!!!

Now I've slept on it, the new has sunk in a little more. My consultant is fantastic - I ended up going to a private hospital as the pain was so terrible and all tests for RA we're negative.

He suggested a mixture of treatments but asked me to sleep on it as he could see I wasn't sure about medication (I'm not a pill popper in any way- I even got through 2 c-sections with just paracetamol!). I'd had a huge steroid injection that had absolutely no effect on my symptoms but he suggested a course of steroid tablets followed by an anti malaria drug.

Has anyone else had better success with oral steroids or any good news stories about the anti malaria drugs - or bad ones?! Want to know what I'm getting myself into!!! Xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I don't have what you have (or the children or the youth) but I am on medication for psoriatic arthritis (PsA) and have had experience of steroids (both tablet and injected).

Steroids have a role to play but they are not a long-term solution because of the troubles they bring in their wake. They are often used initially to bring things under control but they do not tackle the underlying cause of the condition. I never found injected steroids of any use for my PsA but the tablet ones were lovely. I have not taken the anti-malaria tablets but I do know that medications overlap conditions and I hope it works for you: I think I would prefer those to what I have!

I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben