Early retirement application

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 24. Nov 2017, 04:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
Finally (I've been on sick leave since early in the summer term) my application for ill health retirement is being sent off today!
The most recent hold up was when the OH doctor said it wasn't his job to complete my medical form! Because of this I had another referral to him and another sickness absence review meeting in school.
Saw OH Monday and said the main reason I was there was his refusal over completing my form. He waffled for a bit, but eventually agreed to do this and I asked him to send it straight to the school.

Meeting at school yesterday, they had recieved the completed form (hooray) so we talked through a few things and that was it. I'm pleased not just because it's finally sent off but because the school business manager who has been supporting me leaves mid December and I was dreading having to go through everything again with someone new.
I had arranged to meet up with a friend from school after school for a quick catch up in Cos**'s and even had the chance to pop in to school and say "hello" to some colleagues and pupils.

Now it's fingers crossed for the next 6-8 weeks to see if it's agreed and the level.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    The end is in sight now Slosh, it's been long and at times difficult, but looks like the worse is over (hopefully).

Alastair
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I hope this is a relief for you, it's now out of your hands so it's time to relax. I for one cannot see why it wouldn't be awarded and at the highest level - you did your utmost to carry on and that must be acknowledged. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you both. I'm just so relieved it's finally done.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Good luck with it all slosh..you can then consecrate on other things..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Well done, Slosh. You've slogged it out and stuck it out and I'm so pleased for you that the end is now in sight.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Really pleased to hear that the end is in sight at last! :D:D:D:D

Deb xx
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thanks all x
    Julian of Norwich
  • JenniferB27
    JenniferB27 Member Posts: 74
    Options
    We probably have different careers but I too am going down this route. I am nearly at decision stage I have an appointment with a select medical practitioner and then they review everything! I have had the most amazing support from HR, OH and everyone involved to be honest so I'm hoping it goes well for me too. Good luck.
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thanks, hope yours goes well, I'm just waiting now but probably won't hear until,the new year.
    Julian of Norwich
  • TrishaW
    TrishaW Member Posts: 109
    Options
    Dear Slosh

I know this has been a long process for you, and that you must have been really struggling in your job for a while. Education is full on and relentless-you've been amazing to have stayed so long in such a challenging area with your health issues.

Once this has been sorted and hopefully approved, can I suggest you mark the end of a wonderful career with a leaving do or something to help you get some closure?

When I left nursing (with ill health retirement) I went through a 'process' of adaptation, and an official goodbye was very important to me. In my case the doctors all dressed as Bowie and sang to me at a small party....very personal to me and showing they cared!!!

Life is so much better now I don't have to panic about getting through work, and I can look after myself so much better.....I'm sure you will reap the benefits.

Keep us posted and fingers crossed (if i could hahaha)

Trisha x
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thanks Trisha, to be honest it's all been going on so long now that I really feel as though I've already left! However I have been told by work friends and colleagues that I have to have a "proper" send off!

I'm enjoying working on my jewellery business which is so much more manageble (though less lucrative sadly) and gradually building it up. My other idea once it is sorted is to look into offering some kind of disability awareness training to local schools, both to staff and also assemblies.
    Julian of Norwich