Leg Length Discrepancy

krisbe
krisbe Member Posts: 95
edited 14. Nov 2017, 13:26 in Say Hello Archive
I have just had my second THR performed by one of the best surgeons. My leg was slightly short on that side and he asked me if he wanted me to correct it and I naturally said yes (it did not effect me). However my leg after surgery is now considerably longer and I am really worrried about this. He didnt say anything to me about it when he came to see me after the op but I noticed it straight away as the ankles dont line up. Has anyone else had this and will it correct itself?? I think it is about an inch and I can feel it when I walk.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    krisbe

I haven't had a THR so can't help you, but this post would be so much better on the Living With Arthritis forum as more people look at that forum and lots of people have had THRs

I don't know whether this 'old thread' will help though:

https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40711&p=539835&hilit=different+hip+length+post+THR#p539835

Please do let us know how you get on

Toni xx
  • sammiefields2512
    sammiefields2512 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Krisbe

Sounds like a terrible thing to happen. If I were you I would definitely get in touch with the surgeon responsible and raise the issue with him.

I broke my leg when I was younger and one of my legs is slightly shorter than the other. This gives me a slightly awkward gait that I'm hoping nobody notices, and is more difficult to manage at different times.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums, Sammiefields, from the moderation team it’s lovely to meet you :)

You have joined a friendly forum with helpful and knowledgeable members who will make you very welcome. Do tell us a little bit about yourself and your experience of Arthritis.

As moderators we are here to help with any problems you may have using the message boards so feel free to send us a message if you need to.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Ellen
  • Babsb
    Babsb Member Posts: 26
    I asked this question when I was going in for my second thr. Because a friend of mine said her second operation made her leg longer than the other. Was told it takes a while for the new hip to settle down. Not sure if this is true because unfortunately my op was cancelled due to ill health. Can't hurt to ask though.babsb