Does Arthritis make you prone to injury?

Kylec89
Kylec89 Member Posts: 2
edited 15. Nov 2017, 12:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All,

New here :)

I'm wondering if having arthritis makes you prone to injury? I keep injuring myself without doing much like at present I can't using my right hand as either the bone is sore or ligiments.

Sorry if this has been asked already

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums, Kylec89, from the moderation team it’s lovely to meet you.

That is a very interesting question and not one I have personally come across before either.

You don’t say which type of arthritis you have so I’m not sure whether this is relevant to you:

http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/news/general-news/2016/may/osteoarthritis-patients-at-an-increased-risk-of-falls-and-fractures.aspx

It could be that your joints are so sore a minor bump feels excruciating? Some of the forum members do mention being more clumsy and dropping things, but I don’t think that's what you are asking is it? Hopefully someone will have had the same issue as you.

I wonder whether you have mentioned this to your Dr or consultant.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Ellen
  • musimato
    musimato Member Posts: 10
    Not sure if this is what you mean,but doctor says that I should avoid lifting heavy things as I have OA in my leg and am bigger joints. My wrist also started to hurt after I lifted a heavy box.

When you have a tendency for dry joints, anything putting to much stress on your joints is bad. Again, this is my experience with OA, don't know if this applies to you.

Have any doctor confirm that you have arthritis ? and which kind ?[Sorry to repeat the question]
  • palo
    palo Member Posts: 240
    I don't think so. My hubby does not have arthritis and he is very accident prone and has far more accidents than I do.

I tend to be more careful about my joints etc and although I may not use them properly and favour some more than others, I definitely do not injure myself anything like as much as he does.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'm with palo. I have to take care because so much can go wrong so easily so I have very few accidents.

What medication are you on? Some medications can make us more prone to bruising.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello and welcome to the creaky gang. That's an interesting question but for me, no, it doesn't. I have two sorts of arthritis which mainly affect my toes, ankles, knees and hips so over the years I have had to pay more and more attention to where and how I am moving to avoid tripping and falling. What kind of arthritis affects you, where and what sort of injuries are you experiencing? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    I'm not accident prone per se, but I have to be careful when turning round, as I did once turn and twitst my arthritic knee, and needless to say it was VERY parinfull (to the point I felt dizzy), and ended up at A&E, but fortunatley did no harm.

As a result i'm extra careful, and watch out for trip hazards when walking, as I don't want to trip and hit my knee.
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"