Psoriatic Arthritis

andreadodsworth1
andreadodsworth1 Member Posts: 2
edited 16. Nov 2017, 05:06 in Say Hello Archive
Hi I am approaching 3 years since I was diagnosed. I am a mum of 2 children, I am 37 and married and I used to live a busy and full life. Now I don't work, am wheelchair bound, I feel so incredibly ill every single day, and feel like I am drowning in depression to be honest. I have always been a happy upbeat person but feel like I am losing. Am hoping to get to my local arthritis care support group at the end of the month but am fearful everyone will be of the older generation. I need to meet people that I have something in common with and that can help me see a light xx

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums, Andrea, from the moderation team it’s lovely to meet you.

I am so sorry to hear you are suffering and feeling so ill every day. You say you feel as though you are drowning in depression. Many of those who use this site have mentioned feeling depressed and I wonder whether you have confided how badly you are feeling to your Dr or consultant? It is such an understandable feeling when you are in constant pain.

Arthritis Research UK has several articles on the subject some of which may be relevant to you even if the actual type of Arthritis isn’t Psoriatic Arthritis:
    http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/system/search-results.aspx?keywords=depression

It might also be helpful to have a chat to our helpline staff who are available during office hours?

0808 800 4050

Please do let us know how you get on I very much hope your local group has a mix of ages most of them do and you can get some face-to-face support.

Very best wishes

Ellen
  • Hobble
    Hobble Member Posts: 83
    Hi

I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis a few months ago and encouraged to try the local group or a chronic pain support group. I'm just a few years older than you and also reticent of going for the same reasons.
    Last time I was at the local pain clinic I got chatting to a lady the same age who runs a chronic pain support group. She assured me it's more social and there's people of all ages. Decided to take the plunge and go to the next meeting - the fact there's tea and cake at the meetings had nothing to do with my decision :lol:
    Hope you can make it the next meeting and the flare settles soon

Hobble
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Andrea and welcome from me too.

Yours must be very active to have brought you to a wheelchair so quickly. What medication(s) do you take? Is your rheumatology team happy that they are working OK for you?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I too have PsA and have a wheelchair for the truly bad times. I have been reliant on walking aids since 2002 but only for outdoors. I was born with auto-immune issues so for me it's more of the same, I started the arthritis in 1997 but it wasn't accurately diagnosed until 2006. There is a support group which meets weekly at my hospital (it's run by one of the rheumatologists) so I wonder if yours has something similar? I use the forum as my support group, and have made some wonderful friends on here but when we chat it's very rarely about arthritis which is the way it should be. Yes, we 'met' because of the disease but there is much more to us, as individuals, than that.

What meds are you taking? You name it, I've probably tried it. When I was diagnosed with osteo-arthritis in 2011 I finally plunged into depression so began taking a small daily dose of an anti-depressant: I was hoping to stop after three or six months but my rheumatologist reasoned I should continue as being stronger mentally helps me cope better physically (which it does). Some joints have one, some the other and some both which makes for interesting times.

Arthritis can be a lonely and isolating condition - the public perception of the disease is that there are two kinds (rheumatoid and osteo) and only older people are affected. What tosh. For years I was the only one in my circle of friends to be affected but, one by one, my friends are beginning to feel the aches and pains of natural ageing (hardly arthritis) and they don't like it one bit. I try not to grin. From your post I suspect depression may be taking hold so please go and see your GP, he is the best placed to help with that. Keep in touch and let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben