Another newbie

riodog
riodog Member Posts: 9
edited 16. Nov 2017, 09:50 in Say Hello Archive
Hi everyone, I wonder if I post my recent experiences if anyone can say they have had anything similar.

I am a 62-year-old male and up till now have been lucky to have enjoyed good health although I do have mild asthma and psoriasis .

I have had a dodgy right knee for some years possibly as a result of road running in my middle age.

About six months ago my left knee started playing up and shortly after I had discomfort in both hips (groin area) and in the base of both thumbs.

I now also have pain in both feet under the foot around the ball.

I have been to the GP and had x-rays and three lots of blood tests.

I have been told that the blood tests are negative for rheumatoid arthritis and that I probably have osteoarthritis in the joints and will have to muddle along with painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs until such time as the joints warrant joint replacement.

Things do not seem to be getting any better and it seems to me that the symptoms I have described point towards a rheumatoid problem rather than osteoarthritis,particularly the symmetrical joint problems.

I wonder if any other people here have had a similar experience.

Would my best approach be to go back to my GP and asked to be referred to a rheumatologist to see if I can get a better diagnosis?

Thanks in advance

Richard

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Richard,

Welcome to the forums, you are in the right place for both rheumatoid and osteo arthritis so there's one bit of good news!

We can't help with diagnosis but it seems a sensible first step could be to ask to have your x-Ray's and blood tests explained, if your GP asked for them they should be able to do this.

Once you know and understand the results then you will be able to decide what to do next.

Meanwhile there's lots you can think about where the type of arthritis isn't important, like healthy eating, exercise and lifestyle. While these sound all encompassing it could be really useful to check out current thinking, find out what's available and try out some ideas.

Our main website arthritiscare.org.uk is packed with information, both online and via downloads, here's the link for healthy eating
    https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/living-with-arthritis/healthy-eating-and-arthritis

Of course, keep posting here, let us know what is bothering you most and I'm sure we will be able to ease your journey - and join you along the way!

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I too have asthma and very mild psoriasis plus psoriatic arthritis. This began in 1997 in my left knee (I was 37) spread to my right in 2003 and is elsewhere now; the joint damage it caused has led to osteo arthritis in both ankles, both knees and both hips - not a lottery I wanted to win. :wink:

Psoriatic arthritis is an auto-immune arthritis, like RA, AS etc. and it is a 'sero-negative' kind, i.e. rheumatoid factor is not present in the blood. It usually begins in the smaller joints such as the fingers and toes but it can begin anywhere and at anytime. I think a referral to rheumatology would be sensible as you already have trouble with your immune system, only a rheumatologist can diagnose and prescribe the necessary meds to bring things under control. Please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • pandora1961
    pandora1961 Member Posts: 3
    Hi I am Jackie just been diagnosed with RA. been in severe pain for 10 weeks while waiting for test results and ultra sound. Own GP has been great and eventually when the pain relief that was increased weekly did not work e-mailed the hospital. The reply took 2 weeks and then was told to put me on a high dose of Steroids. Once this was done 3 days ago began to get some relief from the pain and able to sleep more than 2 hours at a time. Seeing the consultant tomorrow so hopefully will be put on the right medication . Any help or advice gladly welcome.
  • [Deleted User]
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums pandora1961 from the moderation team

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

Good luck with your appointment with the Consultant tomorrow, let us know how you go on.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

John
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello, I have psoriatic arthritis rather than RA but the meds are the same. Steroids usually work well as they work on the whole body, not just the affected part, but they don't tackle the underlying cause of the disease which is having an over-active immune system.

Good luck with your appointment, please let us know how you get on and what the rheumatologist recommends. DD
  • pandora1961
    pandora1961 Member Posts: 3
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello all went well and diagnosis of acute RA. Treatment aggressive with 2 kinds of tablets along with Folic acid.
    lets hope they don't take too long to kick in :D
  • LindaM
    LindaM Member Posts: 3
    Hi Richard

Sometimes GP's need a nudge in the right direction. We may not be doctors but we do know our own bodies. Don't get me wrong I think the NHS service is fantastic but GP's have to know about so many diseases that they don't always hone in on the specifics. I've been struggling with pain in my toes for years. About 18 months ago I started to get a twinge in my knee. It gradually got worse until it was painful to walk even a small distance. I went to my doctor and she sent me for an X-ray. At the same time I also mentioned a skin problem I had which she diagnosed as psoriasis. The X-ray was inconclusive so they sent me for an ultrasound scan. I kept mentioning my toes but no one seemed to think that was important. Then I went for a scan and was lucky enough to see a consultant who knew what he was talking about, looked at my toes as well as my knee and identified psoriatic arthritis. Blood tests were inconclusive at the time (don't know what they were looking for) but thanks to his information I managed to get a referral to rheumatology who diagnosed me straight away. The diagnosis was a blessing in that finally I knew what was wrong with me. Now I just I have learn how to live with it, but at least I have something to work on. If you feel like you're not getting the answers you need, keep pressing.
  • riodog
    Many thanks for the responses

Richard
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    A quick hello from me too Richard :)

I think you're right to be wanting to see 'someone' and rheumatology wouldn't be an unreasonable request.

Let us know how you get on if you can.

Best wishes

Toni x
  • riodog
    Hi all,thanks for the replies.
    My gp now thinks I may have seronegative RA and is referring me to a rheumatologist.
    In the meantime he has suggested a short course of prednisolone.I appreciate this is not necessarily a long term solution but seems to have helped while waiting for my referral

Richard
  • dreamdaisy
    Ah, my beloved prednisolone, how I miss those little white pills. You are absolutely right, they are not a long-term solution but oh boy! they can make things feel so much better in the short term :wink: I hope you are feeling brighter and that your appointment soon comes through. DD
  • riodog
    I now have my rheumatologist consultant appointment in December.
    Does anyone know how likely it will be for me to be started straight away on medication by the consultat?

Richard
  • [Deleted User]
    Hi Richard
    it is good to know that you have got an appointment with a consultant coming up and I would think they are very likely to start you on medication immediately. You might find it useful to prepare for your appointment by keeping a record of your symptoms so that they have something to work with and to write a list of questions. You might find this booklet useful https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/assets/000/001/207/my-plan-for-life-with-as_original.pdf
    Let us know how you get on
    Best Wishes
    Sharon