Benepali

Weepth2k10
Weepth2k10 Member Posts: 27
edited 21. Nov 2017, 12:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
Morning. Seen rheumy on Friday been diagnosed with spondlyoarthritis, been on sulfasalazine for 5 months and lodine for 2 and a half months. Sewelling on knee and ankle has been coming and going aswell as hip and back pain amongst other things. Had fluid taken from knee twice and 4 steroid jags. She doesnt think the sulf or lodine is working. We're now at trying anti-tnf so benepali has been suggested, had chest xray on friday going to see rheumy nurse for bloods today an a lot of gumf talk as the nurse put it. Lol. Doc has spoke about infection risk and stuff. I want to ask people who work with the public who are on anti-tnf if they have haf any problems ie picking up infections, how do you deal with the thought you may get ill? Has anyone else been put on benepali how are you getting on?
Thanks weepth2k10.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Good Morning Weepth2k10

I'm sorry to hear that your current medication hasn't been working for you.

This is Arthritis Research UK's information about Benepali also known as etanercept:

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/drugs/etanercept/when-and-how-to-take-it.aspx

I very much hope it helps you with your arthritis.

Best wishes

Ellen
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I've been taking anti-TNFs for years now and rarely get infections: I attribute this to my rigorous hand hygiene and for those who come to my house and when out and about the judicious use of anti-bac wipes on door handles, lift buttons etc. and other surfaces. When at the docs or the hospital I always use the hand gels and report if they are empty.

The thought of catching something doesn't bother me in the slightest, coughs and colds etc. are part of life and life doesn't stop because we have arthritis. When I was working as a tutor I refused to see sniffly children and visitors know to ring me if they have colds to give me the option of sending them away (which I always do). I hope the benepali does something positive, please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Weepth2k10, we haven't met so welcome to the forum..
    Sorry I cant help but do wish you well on the meds..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Weepth2k10
    Weepth2k10 Member Posts: 27
    Thanks Barbara. Hi dreamdaisy. Spoke with rheumy nurse had lots of bloods done. Xray came back clear. So if all goes well with bloods i should be on it in 2 weeks or so. Why is it once you leave you think of a few question. Do the recomend having the flu jab? Its all a bit scarey getting. I keep asking if i definetly have arthritis has it been diagnosed properly. When i feel good i say to myself and doubt everything. Then i tell myself they wouldnt give me the sulf or steroid jabs, never mind benepali if they had any doubts.

Dreamdaisy i get what you mean by hygene. Iam quite ott about hygene. What kind of worries me is iam a bus driver so i cant pick and choose who i pick up or i would do lol. Also picking up busses from other drivers, i know some dont wash there hands after being to the loo or before eating, so when do they? I also have to be careful about where i get some food and how there cooked, i also have three young kids they catch everything at school and nursery.
    Weepth2k10
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hmmm, being a bus driver (a job I have always fancied as I love driving) certainly brings its challenges. I wouldn't have any qualms in using disposable gloves when at work (as a layer of protection, money is filthy) and I would anti-bac spray the wheel, gear stick and dashboard (supermarket own brands are cheap and just as effective as the branded versions) on a regular basis.

Having the 'flu jab is essential - it won't stop you catching colds but it will help protect against the nastier things. One of the troubles with being immuno-suppressed is that we do not produce symptoms as quickly as those who are not so when we start the sniffles whatever it is has a good hold on us.

We can look very well from the outside, especially in the summer with a bit of a tan, but the disease is still within - I liken mine to an anaesthetised dragon; it's usually kept under by the meds but occasionally they can falter and it stirs . . . . . .

Children are very germy so encourage immediate handwashing when they come in from school or outside. If they are ill wash all bedding and towels at a high temperature with a splooosh of anti-bac in-wash liquid in addition to your usual detergent. Exposing children to dirt is an excellent way to strengthen their immune systems but when they try to pass that on to us? Not so good. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben