Cold hands

Hobble
Hobble Member Posts: 83
edited 24. Nov 2017, 16:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

Now that the weather is getting colder, I'm struggling with my hands especially when out. I've been using the disposable hand warmers and the gel ones in my gloves but having trouble keeping my fingers and the joints warm.
Anyone have and advice or tips.

Thanks in advance

Hobble

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I dout my solution would be helpful but....

My hands are such a mess I can't wear gloves and, even with mittens, can't get the second one one. So I just pull my hands up into my coat sleeves - very easy and quite warm if you have elasticated cuffs. Any port in a storm :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I wear the insulate gloves..they have a double lining so nice and warm..
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Keeping the extremities warm can be a challenge for many on here. I am one of the lucky ones who runs hot but every now and again the chills strike; warm feet and a warm neck sorts me out. Do your fingers lose some sensation and / or become white? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Hobble
    Thanks for all your replies,
    I'll keep an eye out for some of the insulate gloves. I saw the OT a few days ago and now wearing splints and oedema gloves. Definitely won't find anything to go over that combo!
    DD - I get a purple mottling in cold weather but the fingertips also go a slight purplish colour but nothing like you get with Raynaud's.
  • dreamdaisy
    I think it's worth mentioning to your GP, mottling may be an indication of poor circulation which might affect the ability to keep the hands warm. When I had my working splints during a very cold snap I wore men's Thinsulate gloves, they go over anything. I hope things improve for you soon. DD
  • Hobble
    Thank you DD, I see my GP next week and will mention it too him.
    Having a rough day with pain today and it helps knowing there are people who understand and help

Hobble
  • dreamdaisy
    I'm pleased you're seeing the doctor soon, don't forget to tell him. From reading the forum today I think one or two of us are feeling the strain, I certainly am. I don't care which is affecting me, the infection I have had has certainly laid me low and sapped my energy. DD
  • Hobble
    Hope you're feeling better soon x