Medication and hallucinations BIG SPIDERS

Options
JenniferB27
JenniferB27 Member Posts: 74
edited 25. Nov 2017, 05:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
Bit of a strange question but just wondered if anyone else has strange hallucinations at night? I have started taking 50mg of amitriptyline and 4 times now I have woke up suddenly seeing a huge spider on my window, convinced it's real I jump up and turn in the light but nothing there. It seems so real at the time and quite distressing. Last night a tarantula crawled under my mirror (supposedly) and I lay terrified. Anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh yes, indeed I have: I've 'seen' huge spiders that fill the height and width of walls, and wakened suddenly with a jolt of extreme fright. This was never due to amitryp because I've never taken it, I thought it a dream rather than hallucination. I haven't had it for some time but, whatever the cause, it's not pleasant is it? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    Options
    I'm currently on amitriptyline (been on it for 3 months) and can't say I've hallucinated. But then everyone reacts differently to medications.
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
  • JenniferB27
    JenniferB27 Member Posts: 74
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Oh yes, indeed I have: I've 'seen' huge spiders that fill the height and width of walls, and wakened suddenly with a jolt of extreme fright. This was never due to amitryp because I've never taken it, I thought it a dream rather than hallucination. I haven't had it for some time but, whatever the cause, it's not pleasant is it? DD
    Not nice at all. It seems real rather than a dream if that makes sense? I always jump up looking for it and even today I was scared to move the mirror incase it was there. Yes they always seem much bigger spiders!
  • littlemimmy
    littlemimmy Member Posts: 111
    Options
    This happens to me so often! I'm not on amytriptaline, although my partner has been on it for about five years, but this doesn't really happen to her.

Just last night I insisted on turning the light on because a large spider was lowering itself from the ceiling towards my face. I was so confused that it had gone when I turned the light on. I kept insisting that I had seen it and she said "what, in the dark?!" and turned the light off!

It's weird because I don't mind spiders and there are lots in our house. I'd be more upset about squashing one if it climbed on me in the night, so I don't know why I panic about them when they're not real!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    I've never taken amitrip, and spiders don't bother me, but I was recently, briefly, on morphine post op, and I used to wake up unsure whether reality was my dream or the intensive care unit. The former seemed more vivid than the latter. I always worked it out quickly but it continued to happen until I managed to ditch the morphine.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    They are very real - it's always daylight in the dream and they are always against a cream or white wall so they really stand out. I sit up, gasping and panting, convinced it is in the room. I haven't had this dream for a while which is a relief! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Babsb
    Babsb Member Posts: 26
    Options
    I take amitrip 20 mg at night it helps me sleep. I also take morphine zomorph and cocoda which also helps. Try to take as little as possible through the day but nightime I find is always hardest. The only time I suffered these nightmares were in intensive care which were the worst thing. I have ever had. Hope you find what is causing this. babsb