First new knee

wazz42
wazz42 Member Posts: 233
edited 24. Jan 2018, 12:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Good morning,

The weather is beautiful up here in N Wales, sun and gentle breeze - I hope it's the same where you are.

I've just been given a pre op date for new knee 1, my first joint replacement after 15 years of arthritis, OA and fibro, so pocket buddies would be most helpful. I've looked back over previous knee threads but advice is always helpful.

I did used to react really badly to anaesthetic but had to have a minor bladder op last Christmas under a general which gave me no problems, and incidentally cured my nearly 40 yrs of chronic cystitis, another visitor whenever I was hospitalised!

So, I saw the consultant in July and we got on so badly I was sure I'd never hear from him again, he asked if I wanted to see a different surgeon, I refused thinking it would put me back to step 2 or 3 of the journey. Now I'm thinking he was so bad at people skills he must be a great surgeon!

Thanks,
Wazz xxxx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I can only say I hope your new knee is every bit as good as mine have been.

Make sure they know about your previous problems with anaesthetics.

I recall a friend, who worked in the hospital, telling me before my first op that orthopaedic surgeons were renowned for being the most bad-tempered. But people skills and surgical skills do not necessarily go together as you suspect.

Good luck with it all.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Evie
    Evie Member Posts: 14
    wazz42 wrote:
    Good morning,

The weather is beautiful up here in N Wales, sun and gentle breeze - I hope it's the same where you are.

I've just been given a pre op date for new knee 1, my first joint replacement after 15 years of arthritis, OA and fibro, so pocket buddies would be most helpful. I've looked back over previous knee threads but advice is always helpful.

I did used to react really badly to anaesthetic but had to have a minor bladder op last Christmas under a general which gave me no problems, and incidentally cured my nearly 40 yrs of chronic cystitis, another visitor whenever I was hospitalised!

So, I saw the consultant in July and we got on so badly I was sure I'd never hear from him again, he asked if I wanted to see a different surgeon, I refused thinking it would put me back to step 2 or 3 of the journey. Now I'm thinking he was so bad at people skills he must be a great surgeon!

Thanks,
    Wazz xxxx

Hi Wazz

LOL! I have the same experience with my surgeon - he seemed kind underneath though - waiting for my first TKR as well - I think he must be good as a surgeon to be so pompous - what on earth was the conversation that went so badly??! am curious now ( dont feel obliged to say)

Let me know how things go

Evie xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh wazz42, I think that's good news! I am very pleased for you, I hope the new knee will eventually lead to greatly improved mobility plus greatly reduced pain. I'm not bothered whether my surgeons are charmers or miserable g*ts as long as they do a good job, that's what matters. Good luck, please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • wazz42
    Thank you,

I had a check up appt with my 'own' GP yesterday who now thinks I may have thyroid issues, I thought my symptoms just more of the same re fatigue, temperature control and being a bit 'clammy' so I've a set of bloods to get taken today - bonus should be I won't need bloods done at pre op as they have just! got software they can share between hospital and surgery so they will all be able to see the results - I've written down the names of the tests just in case.

Well, back to manning the phone, so far I've worked out they don't start work on appointments until after 9.10am

Xxx
  • stickywicket
    I do hope the thyroid doesn't throw a spanner in the works but I don't see why it should. As for bloods, they'll almost certainly do more just to be sure nearer the date even if you have already had most done. Better safe than sorry.
    Steven Wright
  • wazz42
    Yes, I've been thinking I should maybe have waited before seeing my dr, though I guess it would flag up anyway with the hospital bloods.

For just this once I'm happy to offer up 2 arms for blood tests, no arguments from me to upset my op, I've waited a long time to get to this point.

Just in case it helps anyone else, I've been reading the going for an op thread

https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18036

It really IS good

xxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Wazz
    I was given an epidural for both my hip replacements..and a sedative so was out for the count, but it meant I came around very quickly with no side effects..my anesthetist was very blunt..but turned out to be the best....good luck with it all..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    I had a spinal anaesthetic when I had a bilateral TKR (ie both knees) a little over 5 years ago. That's what they gave most people a that hospital, although surgeons do differ, but I would have thought you could have that, especially if you have problems with anaesthetics. I didn't want a sedative although it was offered, and the anaesthetist was a little bit surprised when I refused it. So I was conscious and knew exactly what was going on the whole time. I hope your TKR is as successful as mine have been.
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello, were both arms required or did they happily drain just the one? :wink: I too think they will probably do some more nearer the op date just to be on the safe side. DD
  • wazz42
    Hi,

T'was both arms, the first, from Tuesday has a lovely shade of black/rust bruises, the pre-op nurse has hardly left a scratch! I was told to insist on butterflies next time, I only hope it makes sense to them.

I realised I'd never had elective surgery before, it's a strange experience, it took well over an hour and I went in on time, lots to take note of, thank goodness MrW was there with you lot or I'd have forgotten half of it!

Note to anyone going to a pre-op - take a sample with you, I managed to oblige but only just. Helen thank you, I listened hard when it came to anaesthetic - there is the spinal block and the nurse looking after me has spent 10 years on the osteo ward and said it really was the best, for recovery and everything. I will have my op at Abergele, my local hospital, they don't have A&E so I think nothing to put anyone's operation back at all. I'm to expect to stay for 2-3 days.

I've got joint school next where we will see physio, OT, anaesthetic team etc then validation 2 days before op and off we go. There's a 12 week window with the pre-op so by Christmas.

I've to see the dr next to sort out pain relief, I've got to stop some of my meds 5 days before the op, and I had a suggestion to swap my slow release tramadol for non slow release if that makes sense.

Thank you all, the slightly overwhelming feeling didn't last long thanks to you.

I'm going to get some meals ready in the freezer, just going to make some double batches this week

Little Scarlett, 6, asked if I'd still be Mam-gu after bless her, I told her I'd still be there and we could both tell Daisy new knee off if it didn't behave itself!

Now, to avoid scratches with a garden to get ready for winter and not catch any bugs with grandchildren around - I got clearly how bad it is re the possibility of infection and it makes absolute sense though I hadn't thought about it, I shall take every measure.

Love xxx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Wazz thank you for putting this up as I'm now on list for new knee op! Got date for 'Joint School' which is 12th December, so waiting appt for pre-op and actual Op date now. But I will keep reading your posts to help with my nerves!! So I will be following your posts with interest!! t98243
  • wazz42
    Hi Bubbadog,

Maybe we can help each other, let me know what joint school is like if you get there first!

No news for me, I'll ring the secretary towards the end of the week if I've still not heard.

Xxx
  • wazz42
    Hi,

Well joint school appointment is through, it's Wednesday 8th November, I'm looking forward to that one - it seems really sensible to get all the departments and hospital groups that will be dealing with me.

Love to all
    xxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Ooh Wazz nice to see you posting - it's been a while :)

I'm glad to see you are finally going to have your new knee. It sounds as though you know what you're doing (pretty well having read all the 'old' threads) apart from joint school :wink:

Best of luck with it all

Toni xx
  • wazz42
    Thanks Toni,

Yes it is good to be posting and sharing my news, strange that I'm happy to be deemed 'old enough' to have a new knee!

I have grandchildren next week for half term then it's joint school - it's all go!

Wazz x
  • wazz42
    Hi,

Joint school - interesting name and a good introduction to what to expect.

We had talks from the nursing staff, physio, pharmaceutical head, occupation therapist and I think a couple more, thankfully with paper accompaniment to help later on. We found out about having hibiscrub showers and how important any infection or skin damage - second shower when we arrive with a skin check at 7.30am.

The slightly worrying bit was that everyone else (everyone else that mentioned it) had an op date except me. I wish I had asked the question out loud now but didn't think about it then. I did ask one of the nurses and she advised ringing up when I got home. I did reasile there must be 3 or 4 surgeons. Rang up, sorry the secretary doesn't work on Wednesdays. Rang on Thursday, sorry she is off work unexpectedly today, this lady was concerned, she looked on screen and in the paper diary and couldn't find me so she took details and left a message so I'd get a call the next day. I rang on Friday, secretary there, wasn't at all concerned - I could ring back in 2 weeks to see if the December dates were out yet (but the others had December dates).

I shall ring next Tuesday being almost 2 weeks.

Isn't it funny how a thing like that can really put you down, I've moved on now and am ready to ring as much as needed.

I have got my bag mostly packed and I've sorted out my tablets, got to stop one 5 days before op and I've got ordinary rather than SR tramadol so all done there.

My slippers have arrived and I've worn them today - my feet are toasty which is excellent and which they weren't in my usual slippers but pretty they aren't - who cares? Well I did, another thing arthritis is forcing me to become resigned to, but again I'm OK again now.

Let's see how I get on!

xxx
  • stickywicket
    You sound very ready and organised, Wazz. I hope you get your date soon. As for the tramadol - don't be surprised if they change it to something else. In my all-too-vast experience of hospitals they all seem to have their own policies on pain relief. Fortunately, you'll be out quickly and able to go back to your usuals.
    Steven Wright
  • wazz42
    Hi,

Well, I now have a date! I did ring weekly and did remind the secretary that my pre op runs out in the first week of Jan which did have a bit of an effect.

Anyway we are there now, it's the 12th January. I'm feeling very lucky as I was sort of convinced it would be between Christmas and New Year. Now we can have all of Christmas and New Year as usual, and still have time to get the house tidy before I go on in.

Then I shall be very happy to be indoors to recover

Love Wazz xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Oooooh, how exciting! It is better to have it done after the festive period and being indoors in the cold, dark days of January is no bad thing either. I hope it all goes well and I hope you stay infection-free (a challenge at this time of year). DD
  • wazz42
    Hi,

Should have asked for pocket duty for last Tuesday. It was my next meeting with the consultant to sign the forms and you know we didn't get on at the last one.

OH drove and parking was horrendous. We are lucky in Wales as we don't have to pay to park. Usual routine, I get dropped off by entrance, he finds parking space and joins me. After a long walk, mega long alterations to the hospital, but routes still the same as last time, I arrive, check in, settle down to wait. Start playing patience on my iPad - then I get called in! No
    OH! Take deep breath

He asks why I'm having the op and I freeze - what does he want me to say? I tell him I want to replace a duff knee, not good enough. I say I want to get around a bit easier, yes and ...

Then he suggests maybe climb stairs etc so I get the plot and add a couple of things. He looks at me and asks about pain? Apparently everyone mentions pain first. Of course says I, did he read I have pain everywhere? It just wasn't that important to me.

Anyway, the consultant was friendly, more x Ray's needed but I didn't need to go back after, forms are signed, no more appts until New Year.

Although - next week it's take Mum to audiology!

Love xxx christmas01
  • stickywicket
    That sounds like a good appointment and I'm glad you have no more, for yourself at least, until next year. Good luck with your mother!
    Steven Wright
  • wazz42
    Well,

I've had a wonderful Christmas and New Year. Mum on her own on Christmas Day, gentle and calm, then slightly more boisterous on Boxing Day with our son, his wife and their 2 children. Later on we see more family before having both our children and their families on New Year! Everyone was great, checking first if anyone was poorly that it was ok to visit.

I was at Validation last Wednesday where I was given bloods to organise 2 days before op; had a skin check, swabs as well as usual bp etc. They are really strict in preventing MRSA and glad I am too. I was worried I'd be told my op was cancelled but the nurse thought not.

So, next Friday I shall be introduced to Daisy.

Pocket duty gratefully accepted xxx
  • stickywicket
    That all sounds very good and positive. Count me in :D
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Gosh, is it now beginning to seem really real as opposed to a dream? I hope that all goes well and that you are not cancelled as they wheel you in through the theatre doors. Good luck old girl (as we say in this household) and please let us know when possible how you are getting on because we genuinely care. DD
  • wazz42
    Hi,

Home again, I got let out - I think I was a subversive element! The op went well, thanks for the courage re spinal it worked very well, I was awake towards the end though not enough to worry about. I got to the recovery room and ... No tinfoil blankets t115006

I do have bad circulation, part of Raynauds so I usually wake up shivering, this time I only mentioned once I had cold toes I think and they went to find a pulse. Couldn't so got a blanket out of the 'airing cupboard?' Bliss

Only 2 of us were done on my day, apparently they can fit in 3 knees if required so we were well cared for overnight and I'd seen how much bend/straighten I could do. So gently does it now

Love
    Yvonne xxx