I am retiring!

Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 10. Dec 2017, 09:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
So although it took a long time to get to the point at which my paperwork was ready to be sent off, just 2 weeks after it was sent off I had a letter today saying my application had been agreed and at the "total incapacity" level meaning I am unfit for teaching or any other work and this is permament. I must admit this was one of those horrible seeing it in black and white moments. The plus side of this is that I get a slight enhancement to my pension.

I must admit to a feeling of relief as I had been warned that early retirement on health grounds from teaching is getting harder to get and I was dreading it being turned down so I would have to return to work. I have asked for my official leaving date to be the end of term so I can go in to say my formal goodbyes.

Just want to thank everyone on here who has supported me through this process.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    How bittersweet this must be - you have been granted what you needed (but not wanted) and there must be a huge sense of relief tempered with regret and some sadness.

I, on the other hand, am hugely pleased; this will be the start of a new way of life, giving you the chance to work at your pace (for work you will) and choice as to when, where and for how long. Hurrah! :D ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    This must be of a huge relief, and daunting as you are no longer in employment. But on the positive side (there has to be one), you can hopefully slow down a bit and enjoy life more.

Alastair
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Slosh I can only imagine how you are feeling..but like Alastair says you can now relax, and hopefully enjoy another chapter.xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Thank you all, in one way nothing changes since I've been off sick since about 2 weeks into the summer term (apart from money of course). You know me well DD, I am enjoying focussing on my craft/jewellery business and the fact that I can work at my own pace, and as I feel able.
    I do miss teaching, but not what is being done to education at the moment. The other thing I am considering is doing some kind of disability awareness training on a voluntary basis in schools using my own experiences but I need to check I can do that without affecting my pension.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • TrishaW
    TrishaW Member Posts: 109
    Hi slosh

I understand the mixed feelings of seeing that in black and white.

I too had tier 2 ill health pension so 'unfit for other work'. Whilst it gives you (slightly) more money it is an unwanted label.

However I'm sure you'll find your health (physical, mental, emotional) improves dramatically once you don't have to use all your energy on teaching ( a hard job even when young/fit/fully able)

This is a new beginning for you, and a chance to do what you want and what makes you feel good and feel happy.

You've done so much for your pupils....now it's your turn.

Enjoy your new beginning and your jewllery making and not having to panic about going to work the next day when you're having a bad day....it's such a relief.

This really is the beginning of Slosh time!

Love Trisha
  • Slosh
    Thank you Trisha W, it's just such a relief especially after being told it wasn't easy to get and that my union would help me with any appeal. I still can't quite believe how quickly it came through, my first reactions on Friday when I saw the letter was that either there was some mistake on the form or it was a refusal. I had been getting worried about it being refused and my having to go back as I couldn't face putting myself through that again no matter how much I loved my job.
    The best thing is that I no longer feel guilty about having stopped work, or about having given in when I could have kept going. Even when I popped in a couple of weeks ago I was being asked by some people when I was going back!
    So as you say time for some me time!
    Julian of Norwich
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I remember the feeling and also the relief that I did not have to push myself further than I wanted, for me work was a dark place, unable to keep up with my colleagues and always fatigued.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Slosh I'm so pleased for you. It does take a while to sink in, but the overwhelming relief of not having to push through the pain and fatigue, and being able to pace yourself is such a relief. So now, a new beginning, a new year, and much to look forward to.

Deb xxx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Sending you some huge hugs. (((()))) Mig
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Hi Slosh,

Big news for you, I’m glad you known. I appreciate it is bittersweet but you’ve done so incredibly well. I am proud of you. :) I’m glad you have your craft business to keep you occupied and I know you’ll make a success of it because you’re hard working, passionate and driven.

Here’s to the future....
    Sophie x
  • Slosh
    Thank you all.
    Julian of Norwich
  • slomo
    slomo Member Posts: 180
    Hi Slosh,
    Belated congratulations on your retirement, really happy to hear things have worked out for you. You say it all came together quickly in the end, mine did that too, and you've got the best rate you could for your pension which is great because the finances have to be considered too. I was the same and I totally understand what you mean about seeing it all in print. On the one hand it's great to see you're getting the most money possible but on the other hand it's not so good seeing in writing that you're not fit for any sort of work.
    I hope your business is going well and continues to thrive.

I've not been around much since I retired, I don't know where the time has gone. We've moved house 🏠 and we've got it pretty much as we want it now. We've (been obliged to get) got a new caravan after our caravan got battered beyond fixing while in a car park. (We were heading back up north for my hospital appointment so not ideal timing!) I've also just started a strength and balance exercise class. Best of all I think is that we now live close enough to our children to be able to visit for an hour or two without it being a major expedition involving overnight stays. Routine is not really established yet but I'm sure we'll sort that out in the new year.
    I hope you have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year, all the best for the future, slomo x
  • Slosh
    Thank you so much for that. I did two craft markets last weekend, Friday afternoon -evening and then a second one Sunday. My reasoning was that I wouldn't need to restock so could leave my stuff in my car and take it easy Sunday and Monday. The fact that it took me to Thursday to get back to my normal served as a timely reminder that I couldn't continue to work. This week I am going in for the school Christmas Dinner and also going to see my youngest grandson's Christmas show another day. The following week will be my formal "goodbye" to school. One unexpected bonus is that as officially the LA are terminating my contract at the end of the year with two months notice I get two months severance pay paid at full rate not half pay which I am now on.
    Hope you have a great Christmas and a good New Year.
    Julian of Norwich
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Slosh, this is great news for you although a huge change to your life! I hope everything works out well for you and good luck with your jewellery making. At least with that, you can work at your own pace and decide which events to attend.

Enjoy the school Christmas dinner and I hope your grandson does well in his nativity play and he has a starring role.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!