Hebdans mode.forfinger stiffness and clicking.

321ann
321ann Member Posts: 8
edited 4. Dec 2017, 14:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am having problems doing cross stitch and crochet and holding cups etc quite painful.Any ideas to ease it Hebdans mode causes stiffness and are clicking.It feels as if the bones are rubbing together.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    In case others who read this aren't sure what Herbeden's nodes are I hope this explanation helps. They are caused by the growth of calcific spurs (osteophytes) in the fingers or toes joint cartilage and are a sign of osteo arthritis. They are undoubtedly painful and make life awkward - sadly anything arthritic connected to the hands is difficult to ease because, obviously, we use them all the time.

Some regularly soak their hands in warm water laced with Epsom salts which may lead to a temporary relief of symptoms. My hands are affected by a different kind of arthritis and I have recently replaced some of my mugs with handle-less ones which I find easier to hold (they have silicone grips so I don't burn my fingers!) I occasionally knit and have flirted with learning to crochet but I only do a little then rest. Over my arthritic years I have gradually replaced household items with lighter models, on my rough days I use cutlery with fatter handles (the OXO good grips range is excellent). What pain relief do you take? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • 321ann
    I take cocodamel and fenbid forte gel.This is an ibroprofen gel prescribed by the doctor.
  • dreamdaisy
    The gel is an anti-inflammatory so that should be helping, the same with the pain relief but fingers are so difficult to deal with. Does cold weather make things worse? DD
  • 321ann
    Cold does make me worse but as I have other muscle problems in my legs and hips etc.I cant say which is the problem.I have myopathy.Cause unknown.
  • dreamdaisy
    As I understand things myopathy is the term used to describe problems with muscles - I have fibromyalgia (which affects my muscles and makes me very tired) which could be caused by my psoriatic arthritis but no matter. It's another complication to life, isn't it? You'd think your OA would be enough but no, more rocks up to be a nuisance. :roll:

I think the only we can do is pace ourselves as best we can - rest whether we are tired or not, break chores and pleasures down into little chunks of time and not to fret when times get harder: all things pass and things do ease from time to time. DD
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    I'm sure some people have had surgery on fingers and thumbs made too painful by OA you know.....would your GP refer you to someone for an opinion? At least physio to start with???

Love

Toni xx
  • 321ann
    :D Feeling much better now flare up gone for now.Thanks for your replies.
  • dreamdaisy
    That's lovely news, I am pleased for you: I hope it lasts! DD

christmas01
  • 321ann
    thanks.