Brussels trip - now payback

GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 10. Dec 2017, 09:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
My friends kindly (and very generously) treated me to an overnight trip to Brussels for the Christmas markets. We went early Tuesday morning and got back tea time yesterday. They booked it and then told me I was going! :shock:

Although I had to spend Tuesday night in my hotel room as I couldn't walk by then, it was a good trip. It was a lovely place to visit and the laser lights in the main square were fabulous to watch even in the early evening. We had a horse and carriage ride yesterday morning to reduce the walking for my friend's hubby who has RA and myself. During that horse & carriage ride we learnt a lot of very interesting facts about Brussels from the driver (groom?).

Naturally now I am in massive, huge, payback session. My lumbar spine protested really badly at all the walking and I had horrendous referred pain in both of my hips as well as both of my knees and my left ankle showing their displeasure as well. My left shoulder played up as well as I had my elbow crutch in my right hand so had to pull my small wheeled case with my left hand over the cobbles to the hotel. We'd used the underground in error instead of the train once we got off the Eurostar, so had further to walk to get to the hotel. Thankfully coming back we had a taxi from the hotel to the Eurostar terminal.

So I've spent today on my sofa. I'm maxed up with pain meds and been using my ice packs to try and reduce my swollen knee. Nothing's really working at the moment but I live in hopes for the next couple of days. And I also wait for my credit card bill to arrive ...

I count myself extremely fortunate to have such wonderful friends.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    GraceB wrote:
    My friends kindly (and very generously) treated me to an overnight trip to Brussels for the Christmas markets. We went early Tuesday morning and got back tea time yesterday. They booked it and then told me I was going! :shock:

Although I had to spend Tuesday night in my hotel room as I couldn't walk by then, it was a good trip. It was a lovely place to visit and the laser lights in the main square were fabulous to watch even in the early evening. We had a horse and carriage ride yesterday morning to reduce the walking for my friend's hubby who has RA and myself. During that horse & carriage ride we learnt a lot of very interesting facts about Brussels from the driver (groom?).

Naturally now I am in massive, huge, payback session. My lumbar spine protested really badly at all the walking and I had horrendous referred pain in both of my hips as well as both of my knees and my left ankle showing their displeasure as well. My left shoulder played up as well as I had my elbow crutch in my right hand so had to pull my small wheeled case with my left hand over the cobbles to the hotel. We'd used the underground in error instead of the train once we got off the Eurostar, so had further to walk to get to the hotel. Thankfully coming back we had a taxi from the hotel to the Eurostar terminal.

So I've spent today on my sofa. I'm maxed up with pain meds and been using my ice packs to try and reduce my swollen knee. Nothing's really working at the moment but I live in hopes for the next couple of days. And I also wait for my credit card bill to arrive ...

I count myself extremely fortunate to have such wonderful friends.

GraceB

Hi Grace,

That sounds like a lovely trip but I’m sorry you’re now so sore. I feel your pain (literally) Whenever I go on holiday or have a day out I can always guarantee during the day I will find it difficult walking because of the pain in my back and hips and then the next day is normally a write off too. I always try and remember how much of a nice day I’ve had even though it hurts. I hope you feel better soon and rest up.

Kirsty x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    As Simon and Garfunkel didn't sing . . .

Hello Payback, my old friend,
    You've come to visit me again . . . .

What a lovely thing for your friends to do, and what fun! I adore Christmas and would love to go to a proper Christmas market, I am deeply envious. On reflection, however, I wonder if the use of a wheelchair should have been an option, no matter how unwelcome? This would certainly have eased the strain on your joints and reduced the overall impact but what really matters is the memories: you have been able to create some wonderful ones and that is always a Good Thing. DD

christmas05
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Christmas markets are lovely, the one here in York is always busy, with coach loads of people coming in. The stall holders all dress in victorian costume and there are some wonderful home made items on sale. Mulled wine on sale and hot chestnuts plus the ever carols being sung. If you ever get the chance come to York, Wheelchair as well.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Grace you really do have good friends, and what a lovely treat that was..sometimes payback is worth it..so you keep snug on that settee..I hope your joints ease up very soon ..here are some very gentle hugs (()) x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I hope things are easing up a bit now, Grace. Some things are worth it though, aren't they?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Thank you, all of you, for your very kind replies.

Things have now started to ease but I've had a few very painful days. I'm used to being in pain - I think we all are on here - but there's "usual levels of pain" and the "cor blimey" levels of pain!

I've been trying to alternate resting with moving around a bit more as I go back to work tomorrow. I'm just grateful I wasn't due to work the end of last week, as I wouldn't have managed to get there.

And yes, I'm very fortunate with my friends. I honestly don't know what I'd have done the last couple of years without my friends.

Thanks again.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!