One consultant contradicting another!

Options
JenniferB27
JenniferB27 Member Posts: 74
edited 16. Dec 2017, 14:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
So a few of you may remember I paid to go private to see a rheumatologist consultant. I was diagnosed with Palindromic Rheumatism as well as Fibromyalgia and Hypermobity Syndrome. So I am currently going through a medical retirement with work and as part of the process I have been to see a selected medical practitioner who has the job of commenting on my illness and wether it is permanent. He did say I have a permanent disability with regards to pension regulations etc but says I am fit to do basic office work. He assumes the medication I am to start in January hydroxychloriquine will help the rheumatism and therefore help the fibromyalgia. He appeared quite dismissive of the fibromyalgia and admitted Palindromic Rheumatism is rare and he didn't know much about it....its my future in his hands! Grrr I only wish they would just ask my consultant and he could tell them in more detail about the illness and potential treatment success rate. He said 10% of people go on to be cured? Probably googled that somewhere!

Comments

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I went down the same road, sent off to visit the company doctor who wanted me to balance on one leg and lean forward, needless to say I couldn't do it and kept falling over, I was soon medically retired!

The retirement option can be a blessing in disguise, stopping us doing repetitive tasks that will add to our wear and tear, pain and fatigue but of course the salary stops and now the government has changed the pension qualifying rates I won't get a full pension but a smaller and later one, eventually.

Future prospects may not be easy either. Employers don't want to take on disabled staff, despite what you think should happen and the sort of jobs that were once suitable and less physical have all been filled by able bodied job seekers or just gone. The further you get from employment the less money you will have, less social chances etc etc.

Disabled people are onto a loser from the word go. If your medicines work and you can stay in employment, do it.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Some doctors believe that fibro exists, others do not. I was surprised when my rheumatologist diagnosed it in me because I thought she would be a nay-sayer: far from it. I don't take anything for it because it doesn't bother me that often, when it strikes I rest and it eventually eases.

We are always at the mercy of personal opinion be it offered by family, friends or medicos. You know how you feel, you know what's going on, believe in yourself. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • JenniferB27
    JenniferB27 Member Posts: 74
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your comments. I received my report today and have been told I have a disibility and it is permanent. This related to the palendromic rheumatism and osteoarthritis but said the fibromyalgia was not so a lot to take in and consider. The way I feel at the moment I can't work and I am on sick but I have a good job who will support me and make adjustments for me so I will have a think and get some advice.