Blood tests

Options
Hobble
Hobble Member Posts: 83
edited 20. Dec 2017, 08:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello, hope everyone is doing ok

On Monday I had my two weekly methotrexate blood monitoring test and this morning a letter arrived in the post from the GP's asking me to make an appointment to discuss blood test results. Managed to get an appointment for the 27th December. The only thing I can think of why they've contacted me is that on Monday I forgot the blood test request form so the nurse printed one off via the surgery. Do I contact the rheumy nurses today it's methotrexate day or take it as usual as I see the nurse this coming Monday ?

Hobble

Comments

• trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    phone your Rheumy Nurses if you can , they will advise you if there is something wrong with your blood test better than your GP anyway

would have thought your GP would have phoned if it was something serious so dont worry , how much folic acid you taking , it vares from consultant to consultant , I was on 5mg six days a week but some only give one tablet a week
  • Hobble
    Options
    H, i thank you for your reply

I thought the same with the GP calling if it was important but might give the nurses a ring just incase the results haven't got to them directly and they would be better placed to interpret the results.
    I take 5mg of folic acid 6 days a week

Hobble
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It's unsettling when this happens, isn't it? In my experience the GPs concerns about bloods don't even register with rheumatology (who, let's face it, know more about it than a GP). Don't get me wrong, if the GP writes then I will make an appointment for a re-do but without a sense of urgency. If rheumatology contact me then I jump to it because they don't write, they ring. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Hobble
    Options
    Thanks DD,
    that's what I thought even if the results had gone to the GP as it was done via the GP request system, as I forgot the hospital request form :roll: then they would have called. Seeing the nurse tomorrow and will mention it. It's the first appointment with nurse since starting the Methotrexate.

Hobble
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    There's a box on my blood forms which, if they are issued from the hospital is filled in with 'Copy to GP' and, if from the docs (which isn't usual) is blank so I fill it in with 'Copy to' and then the name of my consultant. I do my best to keep everyone who should be in my loop in my loop - not my fault if they fail to keep up. Sometimes the docs fail to keep me in my loop - how very dare they. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Hobble
    Options
    I totally agree! My Mum used to have a saying ' I hate it when doctors treat me like a mushroom . kept in the dark and fed bull s**t!' :lol:

The rheumatology nurse thinks the GP might be concerned about the ESR but to keep the appointment anyway as she wants him to start prescribing the folic acid.

Hobble