Feeling down

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited 20. Dec 2017, 08:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
I’ve been feeling quite down recently.

I’ve been having some tummy problems which I think might be all of the different medications.
Work’s been quite difficult as well. I make sure I rarely take time off work because of previous comments. Some days I just feel so sore and tired, I make myself go in but it’s never really appreciated.
As many people have experienced, people who don’t suffer from arthritis don’t understand what it’s like to be in pain every day and to have to take all the different medications. I find I’m normally ignored or people just brush over it as being a little bit of back ache. Sometimes I start to think is all the pain in my head.

I’m currently waiting for some counselling sessions which I was referred to in September by my GP and I received a letter last week explaining I was still on the waiting list and they were not sure when I would get an appointment, so that hasn’t helped either.

I just wish someone would understand, it would make things so much easier.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Kirsty was sorry to read how sad you are feeling at the moment. It is something we all experience over time. It isn't easy is it. I am sure you are right and that the tummy problems are to do with your meds, but to make sure check it out with your rheumy nurse.

If only we could educate people on the pain experienced by arthritis sufferers and it is sad that not all people even try to understand. But your health is most important and pushing yourself can often make it worse so please take care. Speaking to a counsellor is a great idea and the members of this forum will be here to support you. You could also speak to your rheumy nurse about how you are feeling, could it be the meds that are making you feel down?

much love and hugs

keep in touch

Denise xx
  • Inflexible
    Inflexible Member Posts: 31
    edited 21. Dec 2017, 08:34
    I totally sympathise Kirsty, I also wish that people could understand how arthritis affects lives ....
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    People without arthritis think they know what it is and how it affects people. As if.

Misconception number 1: there are two kinds, OA and RA. As if.

Misconception number 2: it only affects old people who probably no longer work and walk with a stick. As if.

It is not unreasonable for employers to want reliable employees - what is missing is understanding due to ignorance. Colleagues can also become annoyed as they take up they take up the slack (as they see it) because someone who looks OK has moaned they don't feel well and gone home. One of the major troubles with arthritis is it lacks danger and the rather dark glamour that belongs to some other diseases, such as those which have the ability to end life. Arthritis doesn't end life but it sure as heck changes it and how we have to live it to get the best out of ourselves.

This point arises again and again, employer education is needed as well as the eradication of the automatic bias against those who live a physically different life. Changes are being made, years ago my husband's company enabled a secrtetary with PsA to work from home for an increasing number of days until she could no longer manage to do so but that does seem to be a rarity. Mind you, the higher echelons of management had experience of nearest and dearest living with various versions of arthritis so that helped inform their attitude. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • wazz42
    wazz42 Member Posts: 233
    How are you doing Kirsty?

It's bad enough forcing yourself to go to work without knowing that you will get abuse when you get there. Does your boss know the nature of your condition? Could you arrange to see him and maybe take a leaflet to explain what it is, the types of strong meds you need and that there is pain and difficulty even though you take your meds properly? Practise so you can tell him clearly how your condition affects you, pain, dexterity, walking, etc. I know that will be hard and can make you upset so practise first so you can get it out in one sentence.

If you say what kind of arthritis you have I can find a leaflet you could download or print though if you pop into your surgery you may well find one there.

You are doing really well Kirsty, you are dealing with a recent diagnosis and trying hard to work out how to cope. It's sad that we have to be the educators as well.

Keep posting, let us know how it's going

Love xxx
  • [Deleted User]
    moderator wrote:
    Kirsty was sorry to read how sad you are feeling at the moment. It is something we all experience over time. It isn't easy is it. I am sure you are right and that the tummy problems are to do with your meds, but to make sure check it out with your rheumy nurse.

If only we could educate people on the pain experienced by arthritis sufferers and it is sad that not all people even try to understand. But your health is most important and pushing yourself can often make it worse so please take care. Speaking to a counsellor is a great idea and the members of this forum will be here to support you. You could also speak to your rheumy nurse about how you are feeling, could it be the meds that are making you feel down?

much love and hugs

keep in touch

Denise xx

Hi Denise, thank you for posting back to me. I’m still having tummy problems today but will make an appointment with my GP if it doesn’t clear up soon and will mention it to the consultant at my next appointment.

I hadn’t thought that it might be the medication but I’ll make sure I ask that too. I don’t think the cold is helping, it makes it hard to walk properly doesn’t it. I’ve got some new trainers so I’m hoping they might help. I’m going to see my mum and Dad today as well so that will be nice.

Thank you for your support.

Kirsty x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • dalek
    dalek Member Posts: 32
    Kirsty07 wrote:
    I’ve been feeling quite down recently.

I’ve been having some tummy problems which I think might be all of the different medications.
    Work’s been quite difficult as well. I make sure I rarely take time off work because of previous comments. Some days I just feel so sore and tired, I make myself go in but it’s never really appreciated.
    As many people have experienced, people who don’t suffer from arthritis don’t understand what it’s like to be in pain every day and to have to take all the different medications. I find I’m normally ignored or people just brush over it as being a little bit of back ache. Sometimes I start to think is all the pain in my head.

I’m currently waiting for some counselling sessions which I was referred to in September by my GP and I received a letter last week explaining I was still on the waiting list and they were not sure when I would get an appointment, so that hasn’t helped either.

I just wish someone would understand, it would make things so much easier.
    Have you tried calling italk?
    www.italk.org.uk

Sent from my Signature Touch using Tapatalk
  • [Deleted User]
    wazz42 wrote:
    How are you doing Kirsty?

It's bad enough forcing yourself to go to work without knowing that you will get abuse when you get there. Does your boss know the nature of your condition? Could you arrange to see him and maybe take a leaflet to explain what it is, the types of strong meds you need and that there is pain and difficulty even though you take your meds properly? Practise so you can tell him clearly how your condition affects you, pain, dexterity, walking, etc. I know that will be hard and can make you upset so practise first so you can get it out in one sentence.

If you say what kind of arthritis you have I can find a leaflet you could download or print though if you pop into your surgery you may well find one there.

You are doing really well Kirsty, you are dealing with a recent diagnosis and trying hard to work out how to cope. It's sad that we have to be the educators as well.

Keep posting, let us know how it's going

Love xxx

Hi Wazz42, thank you for thinking of me. I’m feeling a bit less down today. I just stayed at home yesterday and rested, and so feeling a bit less sore today. I’m seeing my parents later as well so that will be nice.

They know I have a form of arthritis but they don’t seem to understand it I don’t think. They think I’ve just got a bad back but it’s much more than that isn’t it, like everybody here must experience it’s just frustrating sometimes.
    Thank you that’s very kind of you. I’m still in the process of being told my exact diagnosis but I have sacroillitis and hyper mobility which is caused by inflammatory arthritis, they think it may be a form like Ankylosing Spondylitis.

Thank you again for your kind words.

Kirsty x

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Kirsty
    Sorry I am late seeing this, its good to know you are feeling less down..like you say people don't see the pain..now if we had a our arm in a sling then you get the sympathy..but we understand...I do hope things improve for you..not sure if you take the tummy meds but they do help me..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • [Deleted User]
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi Kirsty
    Sorry I am late seeing this, its good to know you are feeling less down..like you say people don't see the pain..now if we had a our arm in a sling then you get the sympathy..but we understand...I do hope things improve for you..not sure if you take the tummy meds but they do help me..x

Hi Barbara,
    Thank you for your kind reply. It’s really nice to be able to speak with people who know what it is like and I really appreciate your help. I have just been prescribed the stomach meds so I’m going to make sure I take them when I get up in the morning.
    Kirsty x

• dreamdaisy
    Hello, time as usual has moved on and I was wondering how you are feeling now. I hope things have improved and that the sparkle of Christmas might be working its magic. DD

christmas01
  • [Deleted User]
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello, time as usual has moved on and I was wondering how you are feeling now. I hope things have improved and that the sparkle of Christmas might be working its magic. DD

christmas01

Hi DD, thank you for your message. I’m not feeling too well today but I took the methotrexate last night so always expect to feel a bit rubbish the next couple of days. I’ve got 10 days off over Christmas so I’m really looking forward to that and just trying to think of that when I’m feeling sad.
    I hope you have a lovely Christmas.

Kirsty x

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Just a suggestion, Kirsty, but, if you normally have a couple of ropey days after mething, can youoplan ahead with some little treats for those days? It doesn't have to be much, or expensive, but just something(s) to look forward to to offset the negative stuff. I hope you'll enjoy your Christmas break.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • [Deleted User]
    Just a suggestion, Kirsty, but, if you normally have a couple of ropey days after mething, can youoplan ahead with some little treats for those days? It doesn't have to be much, or expensive, but just something(s) to look forward to to offset the negative stuff. I hope you'll enjoy your Christmas break.

Hi Stickywicket, Thank you for the suggestion, that’s a really good idea. I might make one night a week a night I can just go home and watch a good film. I’ll have a think of a couple of other treats I could do as well. I hope you have a lovely Christmas too.

Kirsty x

• dreamdaisy
    I'm glad you are feeling a little brighter and I hope you make the most of your Christmas break by enjoying yourself and relaxing. When I was getting used to doing my humira injections I would do them an hour before bed time but in bed, snuggled and warm, with a cuppa, chocolates and a good book or easy telly after as a reward / consolation / distraction, so it became something of a more positive experience rather than the opposite. DD
  • [Deleted User]
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I'm glad you are feeling a little brighter and I hope you make the most of your Christmas break by enjoying yourself and relaxing. When I was getting used to doing my humira injections I would do them an hour before bed time but in bed, snuggled and warm, with a cuppa, chocolates and a good book or easy telly after as a reward / consolation / distraction, so it became something of a more positive experience rather than the opposite. DD

Hi DD,

That sounds like a really good idea, I think I might do that next week after I take the tablets on Monday. I've not got anything else on now after work until the weekend, so that's good. I had my blood test this morning before work so I can forget about that as well for a couple of weeks as well.

I hope you have a lovely Christmas also christmas04

Kirsty x