Quick question about cold sores

Options
WaitingPhoenix
WaitingPhoenix Member Posts: 18
edited 29. Dec 2017, 03:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi guys
I hope you are all as well as possible.
Just a quick question about cold sores. I’ve got 5 in total at the moment and I can’t seem to get rid of them. I’ve got cold sore cream which I’ve been rubbing on for the past week but I woke up this morning and they’re more painful than ever. I used to take echinacea for cold sores, it got rid of them so quickly, but I’m not sure if it’s ok to take it if I’m on DMARDs?
Thanks

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It's always wise to be cautious about mixing supplements with prescribed meds. I've a feeling Echinacea and DMARDS don't mix. Your local pharmacist would know and would also be able to tell you what the best thing is for your cold sores given the DMARDS.

Not what you want before Christmas. I hope you can get some relief quickly christmas05
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    My hospital (a teaching one) has always advised me to stop the meds when I have an infection of any kind which makes sense: the DMARDs suppress the immune system so when we catch something we have nothing with which to fight it. We also do not produce symptoms as quickly so whatever we have can get a real hold before we begin to be aware that something is up.

If you are still taking the meds then no wonder the cold sores are having a field day. I am not a doc but I do have a few years' experience under my belt and I would be contacting my rheumatology department and seeking their advice. I have never had a cold sore but I think they should know that this is going on. I hope things improve soon, please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Sorry to hear you're struggling, they're horrible aren't they. I'd second DD-I always drop my meds when infection hovers, it's probably worth calling your rheumy help line for advice.

Deb x
  • littlemimmy
    littlemimmy Member Posts: 111
    Options
    The info sheet for echinacea says you shouldn't take it with DMARDS, and specially mentions methotrexate. Apparently their contraindications are swelling of the brain.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Cold sores are the manifestation of the herpes simplex virus and should self-clear but of course yours cannot. I guess that your reasoning behind the Echinacea is that because it is a 'natural' product it can't do any harm - as my rheumatology nurse used to remind me deadly nightshade was a natural product :wink: All modern drugs have a basis in nature, they are not magicked out of nowhere.

I think I am right in feeling that you are still relatively new to all this, WP, and I hope you will seek trained advice sooner rather than later. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello, we're a couple of days on now, how are things? DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello again, I hope things are improving. DD