A Dinner Party With a Difference.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 3. Jan 2018, 14:05 in Community Chit-chat archive
We had friends to dinner on Saturday, it's fair to say that the majority of them are foodies (and good cooks too) but two of us had a bout of nostalgia for the foods of yesteryear so, as a mild Mickey-take, we planned this menu.

Starters: prepared at the table, the Pot Noodle of your choice.

Main Course: fish fingers, chips and peas with Heinz tomato sauce.

Dessert: Vienetta or Arctic Roll.

Cheese Course: Dairylea triangles and Primula in tubes with cream crackers.

After dinner chocolate: Mint Aero and Jacob's Orange Club biscuits.

Photographs MUST be taken and posted on various social media.

I have no doubt that this idea will be forgotten by some of our guests due to being flown with wine, rum and whisky but, as I was flying on tonic water and tea, I plan on hosting this extravaganza some time next Spring. I tell them what we're having but I am looking forward to seeing their faces when I troll out of the kitchen with two kettles and a selection of PNs! DD

christmas01
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh I love it but might your main course be a bit too susceptible to 'gourmetisation'? I could just imagine the 'deconstructed' version appearing on Masterchef. May I suggest that old student (in my day) standby of Vesta Curry?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Ooooh, good shout there, Sticky! I had forgotten how glorious they were, especially the prawn one. :D Do you wanna come?

I forgot to say that refreshments will include Blue Nun, Black Tower and le Piat D'or (rouge). DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I love it... :lol: now SW Vesta curry the first one I ever had..all dried in a box..but not to bad a flavour.. :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Do you wanna come?

I forgot to say that refreshments will include Blue Nun, Black Tower and le Piat D'or (rouge). DD

Do I wanna come? Yes please :D Just for variation I'll bring a bottle of the '60's compulsory Matteus Rose (yuk) and we can all fight over who gets to make it into a lampshade. Dandylion and Burdock for the drivers?
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I'll bring the Whitbread Party 7, we can always arrange the next meet at the Berni Inn, I do love the Double Diamond there oh and their floaty coffees with a nice Castella cigar! Must bring home a handful of those paper napkins for glasses that fit round yer glass base, sooo classy.

Crikey, it'll be pineapple and cheese nibbles followed by chicken n chips in the basket next!

Hahahahaha.....

I expect I can say......Merry Christmas now?
  • dreamdaisy
    Airwave! Come in, how bona to vada your jolly old eek! (That is yer actual Polari for 'How lovely to see your face,' learned from Round the Horn.) I had forgotten about those entertaining must-haves so if you can rustle them up that would be a treat for us all! DD

christmas01
  • Airwave!
    I was wondering if some of the items were more 70's than 60's? I had my first steak in a Berni Inn at the age of 16 after leaving home, none of your mucked around foreign food and cooked properly, well done rather than pink. Starters were a fascination to a young man brought up on meat and two veg, mum was still dishing up fried spam, mash and peas with gravy of course, still I suppose I was better fed than the other half of the world?

Roast on Sunday, stew on Monday, cold meat and mash on Tuesday, mince, mash and peas on Wednesday, I remember bringing my girlfriend back home for 'tea' and mum dished up fishfingers for us, no wonder we were all skinny in those days!

christmas03
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    I suggest a Fray Bentos meat pie in the round plate-like tins (which you could never open and nearly threw at the wall when the tin opener played up), you cooked the pie in the tin itself with the lid off. And then when the pie was cooked you couldn't get the flaming thing out of the tin without it falling to bits. :roll: I seem to remember it was flaky pastry. Packet mash would go well with that!

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Can I come I will bring a tinned spotted dick and some blue nun.
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    spotted dick and some blue nun.
    There's a short story or a bad joke in there somewhere mig!
  • stickywicket
    :lol::lol:

Probably written by Chaucer :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    I can't believe we used to eat powdered mash yuk!
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Airwave! wrote:

If the alternative was my mum's mashed spuds, it wasn't yuk! Smash was a godsend for our camping holidays, saved on time and more importantly fuel compared with the real thing.
  • Airwave!
    I couldn't even cover the Smash in tomato sauce, we didn't get any till years later. Camping, mum used a tin pot with holes in and filled with parafin, heat was optional on a windy day.

I just remembered we used to get given spam sandwiches on wet days.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    daffy2 wrote:
    Airwave! wrote:

If the alternative was my mum's mashed spuds, it wasn't yuk! Smash was a godsend for our camping holidays, saved on time and more importantly fuel compared with the real thing.

Airwave we still eat powdered mash in this house. It's my Sons favourite and one of the few things he can make for himself.

DD the menu is definitely leaning towards the 70's as I ca remember all these items.

And Angel whip was another favourite of the time x

Elizabeth xx
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Fried spam anyone?
    Paste not pate
    Pork chops with the kidney attached (it wasn't all bad)

I remember my Dad's special Bank Holiday Sunday tea menu
    Tinned red salmon (with a touch of vinegar)sandwiches
    Sliced cucumber in vinegar

And for dessert
    Vanilla ice-cream with plain chocolate digestives broken up over the top, (that's the one part I still sometimes have).
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Airwave!
    Hhhmmm, perhaps we don't stray too far from our upbringing, I brought some Angel Delight to try on the gc last year, they didn't like it! I do miss all the puddings, frogspawn, milk pudding, any suet pudding, bread pudding, bread and butter pud (with marmalade). Just as well I don't eat pudding every day I'd be a heffalump!

I was brought up on lettuce, sugar and vinigar sandwiches for tea, sugar sarnies if I was ill which I seemed to be often?