Thumb joints

AliB
AliB Member Posts: 41
edited 9. Jan 2018, 03:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well got my hips sorted out now have painful thumb joints! Anyone else please who has this can recommend some sort of relief...do the thumb supports help? I do a lot of writing in my job and am having to adjust the way I hold my pen.

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    The OT gave me some neoprene thumb supports that help, I have short ones and some longer ones that also support the wrist. They certainly helped, but in my experience nothing stops the pain completely.

I believe the rheumatologist can offer steroid joint injections, and whilst I've had them in other joints I've not tried the thumbs-can't quite face that. For me they are uncomfortable, but thus far have offered good relief if only for a few weeks.

Is it worth ringing the rheumy team for advice, or speaking to your GP?

Deb x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Are both your thumb joints affected? (Not both thumbs!) If so use the usual grip but straighten the thumb so just your fingers 'waggle' to write. Practise writing zigzags first, a more italic style of writing may also help to ease the stress on the joints. Another idea is to use a biro or roller ball, rather than a fountain pen, to reduce drag. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I used to have injections in my thumbs and they worked a treat for a couple of years..now I wear splints that the physio gave me..they do help quite a lot but shouldn't be worn all the time , you should still keep the thumbs moving when you can.
    Love
    Barbara
  • AliB
    Thanks for your replies....have found a more comfortable way of holding my pen although writing not quite so neat ! Do accounts by hand in the now I suppose 'old fashion' account books ...maybe is the time to go computerised !!
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Hot wheat bags and use as much as possible, heat will relieve the pain and your circulation will increase to cope with the heat and promote quicker healing. My oh makes different sizes and shapes up for me. Half a bag (28lb) at a big pet supplies unit is cheap and a heavier material like corduroy serves better (or double fleece). I get homegrown lavendar in mine! Put into the microwave for a couple of minutes (depends on power of unit) with 1/2inch of water in an old mug and it'll last for 30/40 mins.😆

t69044
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    If you're not already using them the thick 'Berol' pens are easier to hold. There are also devices to increase the width of ordinary pens / biros. See here, though not all things shown are for writing implements https://tinyurl.com/y8yjr9lz
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • AliB
    Airwave I will try those heat bags ...have one in the cupboard not used for a while I will try it this afternoon....

Stickywicket ..looks like some useful looking gadgets on that site...must try those pens too.

It's only recently my thumbs feel so uncomfortable I am hoping when the weather warms up they will improve ...we shall see !
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Good oh AliB, doing positive things is good cognitive therapy. The pain in hands and wrists is not the sort of pain you can change your position to get away from. Trust in the wheat bags and keep smiling.
  • AliB
    Have ordered some heat pads especially for hands from Amazon and should arrive today........looking forward to trying them out !