Hello

goldengirl
goldengirl Member Posts: 9
edited 9. Jan 2018, 14:22 in Say Hello Archive
I am 69 and moved to France from the U.K.(Cornwall) 11 years ago.I hope it's ok for me to join this forum as I feel so alone at times with no one with my condition to talk to. I had 2 hip replacements before coming here the first in 2003 and the next 3 years later. It is OA and up until 5 years ago was enjoying my life. Then after having the worst pains ever in my back was having to change much of my life style and walking was becoming a big problem 3 years ago I had major surgery and had 9 vertebrae fused. My next operation in March is for a shoulder replacement. So yes, I have times of depression and worry of what will be next. I have a very caring husband and two lovely golden retrievers who have been getting me through my problems. Friends here are all fit and healthy and very understanding but I like to keep cheerful with them without showing how I am really feeling. Joining this group I hope will let me get things off my chest to people who do understand. Already it has helped writing this and I will hopefully learn how others deal with their OA . J :lol:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi goldengirl and welcome to the forum,of course it is ok for you to join the forums that's what it is here for, you will find everyone welcoming understanding and kind. I have just had my R hip replaced, but have also had both knees replaced in the past, so I know how you feel as do a lot of people on the forums. If you want to actually talk to someone you can ring 08088004050 and get a chat or just continue on the forums, Living with Arthritis and Chit Chat being our most popular.
    Hope all goes well no need to be lonely when there is a host of people with Osteoarthritis and other related symptoms.
    Have fun Christine t4591
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's lovely to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I have OA in a number of joints but no replacements as yet (and probably won't bother now because I like the devils I know and can control, the thought of a pain-free oasis is terrifying) but I am currently in bed with a very sore throat: I am immuno-suppressed due to the meds I take for my other arthritis so not feeling that wonderful.

In the past we have had members from Canada, USA, Spain, Norway and other places: geography matters not because we all have a similar problem: we all get it because we've got it. I hope you find the forum to be of interest and that we hear from you again. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Jan1968
    Jan1968 Member Posts: 4
    Hello, I am a newbie too, and like others have OA in a couple of joints and places. It does make ones depression harder and I too joined here looking for like minded ppl with the similar problems. I used to enjoy going to music events and gigs with friends, but standing for so long now causes a lot problems now.

At moment I have a cold virus and Dr just also pronounced after tests I am menopausal 😢😢. Having dizzy spells, vertigo and nausea. Just would like to sleep it all away.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello goldengirl and a warm welcome form me
    I am so glad you have found us and like you say just typing things down really does help..of course we dont mind you joining us from France we have quite a few from overseas
    I am 67.. 68 this year year and had both hips replaced ..but still facing surgery on my back..and my thumbs..boy you have gone through it ..we do have a couple of people with shoulder replacement so hopefully when the times comes they will be able to advise..
    Good to know you have such support from your husband and your lovely retrievers...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    And a warm welcome to you Jan
    So glad you have joined us, but sorry you have a rotten cold at the min..I was very lucky with the menopause thank goodness..but make sure you do get help if needed..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • goldengirl
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hello goldengirl and a warm welcome form me
    I am so glad you have found us and like you say just typing things down really does help..of course we dont mind you joining us from France we have quite a few from overseas
    I am 67.. 68 this year year and had both hips replaced ..but still facing surgery on my back..and my thumbs..boy you have gone through it ..we do have a couple of people with shoulder replacement so hopefully when the times comes they will be able to advise..
    Good to know you have such support from your husband and your lovely retrievers...x
    Thanks for the message Barbara and yes I'm sure it's going to help when I have my shoulder replacement. Luckily it's my left one as it's going to be in a sling for 5-6 weeks. Poor hubby is in for some extra chores! My biggest concern is walking the dogs as they have to be on leads at times and I walk with a cane using my right hand. I'm already thinking of ways and again have friends around. The dogs are such an important part of my life. Hope I can help you at anytime too
    and anyone else. X
  • goldengirl
    Jan1968 wrote:
    Hello, I am a newbie too, and like others have OA in a couple of joints and places. It does make ones depression harder and I too joined here looking for like minded ppl with the similar problems. I used to enjoy going to music events and gigs with friends, but standing for so long now causes a lot problems now.

At moment I have a cold virus and Dr just also pronounced after tests I am menopausal 😢😢. Having dizzy spells, vertigo and nausea. Just would like to sleep it all away.
  • goldengirl
    Hope you find it a helps to write these messages. I'm so pleased I started as I have been feeling so lonely and therefore become depressed. Having to stop doing things that mean a lot to you is hard to overcome. I'm not sure how old you are but the menopause to struggle with is difficult too. Do you still work as lack of sleep is not good?. My OA started in my 50's and I found new hobbies to keep me occupied but music has always been important to me. I listen to it most of the day in some form and it really helps. Keep writing and I'm sure help will come your way. Reading different forums is good. Take care and hope you are feeling or getting better after your cold virus.
  • LibbyLou
    LibbyLou Member Posts: 1
    Hello and thank you for letting me join. I have arthritis in both hips and a knee. I am scheduled for replacement of right hip - I have just received notice for pre op - but no date for the op. I am scared and have lots of questions. I am female, in my early 60s, run my own business hands on, which is probably how I knackered everything - too much physical work. I have a husband, dogs, a house with stairs, and British Sports Cars!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Hello Libbylou and welcome to the forums from the moderation team.

I am very sorry to hear about your arthritis in both hips and one of your knees. I see you have had a date for your pre-op for a Total Knee Replacement. You will find out more at that appointment, I’m sure, as well as a likely timescale for the operation.

Of course the prospect of surgery is daunting, but lots of people on here have been there already and can and will give you reassurance I am certain. In the meantime I hope the following links will help you:

This is an ‘old’ thread about Hip Replacement:

https://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=47983&p=630841&hilit=Hip+Surgery#p630841

This information by Arthritis Research UK is about osteoarthritis and is very comprehensive:

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/conditions/osteoarthritis.aspx

This is about Hip Surgery:

http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/system/search-results.aspx?keywords=hip+surgery

I look forward to seeing you posting and reading about your recovery post-op :)

Best wishes

Ellen.