Hip Work Advice

Magnum
Magnum Member Posts: 3
Hi,
I need help and advice from others who understand and are kind of in a similar situation.
I am 46 years old and have always kept myself pretty fit, playing football from an early age onto a semi-pro standard and continuing into my mid 30s before packing up.
After knowing something was wrong for a while I went to the doctor who was great and recognised the problem immediately.
I was diagnosed with severe hip arthritis in the left and medium in the right through x-rays about 2 months ago.
I am currently on a waiting list for a hip replacement which is scheduled for approximately February 2018.
The problem I have is I work nights as a class 2 delivery driver which involves shifting and pushing/pulling heavy cages up and down slopes in some cases which I am finding increasingly difficult.
I also have a very ill father who I care for during the day who has cognitive and mobility problems caused by a bleed on the brain and relies on me.
My mobility isn't good although I can walk okay, it is with pain and I'm finding I'm limping because of it.
The pain is always there now and simple tasks are becoming difficult, I dread work as it is so uncomfortable, even simply getting in and out of the truck is hard.
I do think there is a lot of people on this forum who are in way more pain than me and my heart goes out to you guys.
My most urgent question is what are my options as far as working are concerned. I don't seem to have any strength in the left leg and the constant nagging pain which is made worse when extra pressure is put on the joint (like an electric shock) wears me out by the end of the shift, I can liken the pain to bad toothache.
I have been keeping my employers informed at every turn and they have been amazingly supportive and understanding but I am now getting to the stage where I feel doing this job could almost be dangerous to myself and others if I lose control of a heavy cage on a slope due to the weakness in my leg.
I am quite independent and don't like asking for help so this is difficult, I'm reaching out hoping someone has been in this position and understands.
I really don't know what to do.

Apologies for going on a bit.

Thanks + Regards
David

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi David,

Thank you for posting on our Helplines Forum. I am sorry to hear you are experiencing pain and reduced mobility due to arthritis in your hips. It sounds as if it has been a tough time for you, trying to continue working as well as care for your father.

I am glad that your employers have been supportive and it is good that you have kept them well informed. Hopefully, you will be in less pain and more mobile after your hip replacement.

For Arthritis Care’s booklet on Working with Arthritis, follow this link: https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/225-working-with-arthritis The Equality Advisory Support Service (EASS) provides impartial advice on employment issues. Freephone 0808 800 0082

Our booklet on Managing Pain may also be helpful, see: https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/217-managing-pain

For information about hip replacement surgery, see our factsheet: https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/do-i-have-arthritis/publications/231-hip-surgery

It may be worth asking your GP to refer you to a physiotherapist for an assessment and advice about exercises while you are waiting for surgery.

A social services care needs assessment may be also worth considering for your father, so that he can receive more help at home. Respite Care may also be a possibility.

If you feel it would help to talk things through, you are very welcome to give us a call on our free helpline 0808 800 4050 weekdays 9.30am - 5pm.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Fiona, Helplines Worker
  • Magnum
    Magnum Member Posts: 3
    Hi Fiona,

Thank you so much for the reply and the links.
    I will look into all options and try to make the right decisions.
    It's nice to know that you guys are there if I need to call for a chat also.
    I wish you and your colleagues a happy Christmas.

Best Regards
    David
  • goldengirl
    goldengirl Member Posts: 9
    Hi
    I have just joined this group and already feel better knowing I can talk to people about my problems. It is very important as like you I like to feel independent and not bother others. I would say after my experiences and on going problems I would not be without my tens machine. I owned my own florist business before my first hip operation and was in such pain but continued working until the op. I had little choice. The tens machine was with me all the time as well as using walking aids. So be proud and use what is offered. It helped to keep some independence. After the op is more important to take offers of help as it is the time to listen and do as you're told so you can get back to work quickly. It changed my outlook on life and also I found out who my friends were. Best of luck and keep writing.