Methotrexate injection day

Hobble
Hobble Member Posts: 83
edited 25. Jan 2018, 08:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
Yesterday afternoon I came home from the hospital with the injection pens and all the necessary accessories.
Fortunately the bright yellow sharps box managed remain in the shopping bag despite the huge gusts of wind. Hope everyone has come through the recent storm unscathed.
The nurse did the first injection and in a weeks time I do the next injection under the observation of the nurse and hopefully signed off as ok to do them at home.
Suffering a bit with the pain and tiredness today

Hobble x

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    So glad you managed to keep a hold of your bags in the high winds. It has certainly caused some problems around the country!

Pain and tiredness are a lot to deal with and tries the most positive of people, I sincerely hope that the injections help you with your pain although they are not instant relief it does take a while for them to start to work properly but i believe they have a high success rate.
    warm hugs

Denise x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'm sure you'll cope well with injecting but each new process is a bit daunting. Good luck and I hope it helps.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I wish you well with it all, it is daunting but, honestly, it is such a straightforward process and I hope it helps to bring things under control. It should also help your skin so you will be able to ditch the vile coal tar shampoo! I use Simple shampoo and avoid any moisturisers that list lanolin as an ingredient as that sets things off with me - well, it did until the suppressants got to work! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Hobble
    Thank you all for your replies and support and as always, very grateful.

I've managed to get a skin infection! Started yesterday with a small tender area and by this morning it was much worse so I had a quick trip out to the out of hours center and left with antibiotics. Unfortunately the infection is on my face and I reckon it can now be seen from the international space station :lol:

I'm the same with lanolin DD, it was in some of the creams I had as child when the eczema started. I'm beginning to take a dislike to my skin at the moment!

Hobble x
  • dreamdaisy
    Please let your rheumatology unit know that you are taking anti-biotics and ask whether you should take the meth next week. My hospital (a teaching one) has always advised me not to take my immuno-suppressant meds when I am ill so I don't, to me it's common sense but I've been playing this game far longer than you and your circumstances are different. DD
  • Hobble
    Thanks DD will do, as I see the nurse Thursday for the second subcut injection and I finish the antibiotics on Saturday

Hobble x
  • dreamdaisy
    I hope all goes well today, please let me know what she has to say regarding meth and infection, I am curious! DD
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Hope the appointment went well, like DD I'm curious about the infection/injection thing as my rheumy tells me to avoid the DMARD's when ever I have an infection.

Deb x
  • Hobble
    Hi all, sorry for the late reply

Rang the nurse the next day ( day before appointment ) and the upshot was that she cancelled the appointment and made one for this Thursday.

Glad I rang and didn't have a wasted trip out!

Thank you all again x
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello, assuming you had your appointment yesterday how did it go? Are you any clearer now on when to stop the meds? DD
  • Inflexible
    Inflexible Member Posts: 31
    I did my first methotrexate injection on Wednesday, it went much better than I expected and the good news is that I have not suffered from any of the side effects that normally plague me for 36 - 48 hours after taking it orally.

I'm sure the answer is here somewhere, but can I ask if the general experience is that the injection is a more effective way of taking the methotrexate?
  • dreamdaisy
    Taking the drug by injection bypasses the digestive system so should reduce the nausea side of things (should that be a bother). I recall my rheumatologist explaining one also gets a better 'whack' of the stuff for that reason, which may render it more effective. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello Inflexible, I think I'm right in saying that your second meth injection was due today: if so I hope it went well.

And a hello to Hobble too - how are things with you? I hope all is as well as it can be. DD
  • Inflexible
    Inflexible Member Posts: 31
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello Inflexible, I think I'm right in saying that your second meth injection was due today: if so I hope it went well.

And a hello to Hobble too - how are things with you? I hope all is as well as it can be. DD

Hi Daisy,

Kind of you to remember that. Yes, it was my first "home" administered injection and it went OK I think. Certainly the after-effects are much less than taking orally, I'm really pleased. I just need it to work now!

On a less positive note, have been having trouble with my hands this week :( My left thumb joint has been really painful and to be quite honest, the celecoxib doesn't touch it. Am back on naproxen which does seem to be helping.
  • dreamdaisy
    You're more than welcome, I try to keep track of newbies, even though I am an old hand at this injecting business I am aware of how daunting it can be. I am so pleased that it's going better for you and I hope you soon start to notice an improvement in your symptoms.

I took naproxen for some time and, rather than tackle the arthritis, it gave me wonderful oral thrush. :roll: DD